Brighton & Hove, the original Albion...
(03-04-2019, 11:52 AM)Old Stroller Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:37 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 11:58 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special-show...eam-names/

I've been wrong about this all my life.

We became Albion in  1880, over 20 years before they were formed.
Sticks in my gullet the amount of shoddy journalism these days which gets accepted as the truth. #fakenews

We were playing as West Bromwich Albion from the Autumn of 1879. Contemporary reports from the Midland Athlete confirm this. The long passed down belief that we changed from the Strollers into Albion in 1880 simply isn’t true.
Fair enough, but what's certain is we were Albion long before that crowd were.
(03-04-2019, 10:05 AM)74bus Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 11:58 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special-show...eam-names/

This shouldn't annoy me, but it did, so I've added a comment to the page. Really poor journalism.
Good for you.

When I grew up in WB, the Albion area connection was common knowledge.

Agree with all the comments about fake news. That "orange faced scary man " (well put Spandau)  has given licence to his followers to believe what they choose to believe, which is why people talk about a post truth world... Frightening.
(03-04-2019, 12:17 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: Good for you.

Agree with all the comments about fake news. That "orange faced scary man " (well put Spandau)  has given licence to his followers to believe what they choose to believe, which is why people talk about a post truth world... Frightening.

It's a story I've grown up with too, and it can't be disproved that the area of West Bromwich known as Albion wasn't in the minds of some of the club founders. What can be proved though, going through the 1871 and 1881 census records, is where those players lived and worked, and it wasn't there, but as I posted earlier, at the top end of the High St. Our earliest rivals were West Bromwich Christ Church, as both teams' players had gone to the same school and worked in the same factories. Them's the facts.
(03-04-2019, 12:36 PM)Old Stroller Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 12:17 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: Good for you.

It's a story I've grown up with too, and it can't be disproved that the area of West Bromwich known as Albion wasn't in the minds of some of the club founders. What can be proved though, going through the 1871 and 1881 census records, is where those players lived and worked, and it wasn't there, but as I posted earlier, at the top end of the High St. Our earliest rivals were West Bromwich Christ Church, as both teams' players had gone to the same school and worked in the same factories. Them's the facts.
Thanks for that.

Interesting stuff.
(03-04-2019, 11:33 AM)throstle2000 Wrote: Hi Everyone, im not trying to give a history lesson here,but, the word Albion derives from Roman times (Latin) for a literary term meaning....Britian or England, the same
 thing with London, it was called in Roman times Londinium, so there you go guys. Cool

Bloody Romans coming over here and making up our words! 

Big Grin
(03-04-2019, 01:14 PM)SausEggBaton Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 11:33 AM)throstle2000 Wrote: Hi Everyone, im not trying to give a history lesson here,but, the word Albion derives from Roman times (Latin) for a literary term meaning....Britian or England, the same
 thing with London, it was called in Roman times Londinium, so there you go guys. Cool

Bloody Romans coming over here and making up our words! 

Big Grin
Think how Great Engerland could be,if it wasn't for all those foreigners...
?

It was actually derived from the ancient Celtic word for Britain (said word evolved through the Gaelic line to mean Scotland). The Hellenic Greeks then referred to it as Aλβίων, which when Latinised means Albion.
That has made me far more angry than it ought. What a plank that guy is.
Brighton is famous for its skanky bars, LGBTs, homeless problem, Green Party MP, and fights between the mods and rockers on the beach in the 60’s
Hove is famous for its famous celebrities & the wine bars they sit

Both are well known for their dedication to the sex industry

Neither are famous for football or borrowing the name of the Albion from us; there is a shit pub down on the quayside called the Albion though.. legend has it they borrowed it from there as it reflected their own ambitions

great trolling by the lad to be fair