Chris Wilder
(03-21-2021, 09:11 AM)Pragmatist Wrote: Several media articles reporting this morning that Wilder is going to be offered the job here.  I have to say that his proven experience of winning two promotions in three seasons and a top 10 finish in the PL with the promoted squad puts him way ahead of Appleton (who I do rate) in my view.  I’d very happily take Appleton if Wilder doesn’t come, but I think Wilder could be an inspired choice.

Inspired choice ? strange phrase, bearing in mind every club in the country and it's supporters know about him !
(03-21-2021, 09:27 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 09:11 AM)Pragmatist Wrote: Several media articles reporting this morning that Wilder is going to be offered the job here.  I have to say that his proven experience of winning two promotions in three seasons and a top 10 finish in the PL with the promoted squad puts him way ahead of Appleton (who I do rate) in my view.  I’d very happily take Appleton if Wilder doesn’t come, but I think Wilder could be an inspired choice.

Our issues run a lot deeper then a manager can resolve. 
Where as Wilder would be a sound choice, what other changes are going to happen to change the end result?

The first “end result” is to win promotion ASAP to get back up.  The second “end result” is how to get funding to enable us to compete in the PL.  But if we don’t achieve the first step then the second step will be irrelevant.  Getting promoted again is the only way to get rid of Lai.

(03-21-2021, 09:46 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote:

Inspired choice ? strange phrase, bearing in mind every club in the country and it's supporters know about him !

I think “ideal match” would have been a better phrase for me to have used
I thought wining promotion and selling the club were this seasons plan  ,,,have i missed something  Rolleyes
His centre backs are very mobile and get forward a lot - I wonder if this suits our players or if it could go back to how we were earlier this season conceding a lot.
(03-21-2021, 10:28 AM)TETLEY74 Wrote: I thought wining promotion and selling the club were this seasons plan  ,,,have i missed something  Rolleyes

Yep - you’ve missed the directive from the Chinese government to overseas club owners to offload their investments, so it’s no longer the case of Lai and his consortium being able to wait to get their money back.  That’s in the last couple of months.
(03-21-2021, 10:32 AM)Cornflake Wrote: His centre backs are very mobile and get forward a lot - I wonder if this suits our players or if it could go back to how we were earlier this season conceding a lot.

At Sheff Utd they were but that hasn’t been a hallmark of his football elsewhere. Wilder’s teams are hilt to the strengths of his available players with the only consistent theme across Oxford, Northampton and SU being fitness, determination and energy - three things we’ve sorely lacked for some time. 

If Wilder gets the job here I don’t expect us to revert to 3-5-2 and him to start asking Barts to thunder up field at every opportunity. I expect he’ll be looking for an energetic midfield and the rest will fall into play.
The weird thing is, I think our players can be capable of the overlapping CB system. Both OShea and Ajayi especially love a roam forward.

You could also see Townsend tucking in to the LCB role really well.
Surely any decent manager comes in and plays to the players strengths until he has the players to play his way. I'll never understand making players do something they obviously can't do. Having Bartley and Dawson play out from the back like they were Man City defenders was idiotic.
(03-21-2021, 10:28 AM)TETLEY74 Wrote: I thought wining promotion and selling the club were this seasons plan  ,,,have i missed something  Rolleyes

Logical comments are not for this forum Big Grin
(03-21-2021, 09:41 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 09:24 AM)Psalm23 Wrote: He's favourite for the Celtic job.

They'll need The Pope to fix their problems.

....which is ironic given the type of problems that need addressing up there.