The license fee
Up 0.9%!!!!

Anyone on here got any strong and repetitively aired views on whether to pay it or not?
Morning Dumbo
Is this where I post #defund the BBC whilst getting a stiffy at the thought of Fox ahem sorry GB News channel? A channel I’m sure that will be impartial and tell the truth.
(02-09-2021, 08:38 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Is this where I post #defund the BBC whilst getting a stiffy at the thought of Fox ahem sorry GB News channel? A channel I’m sure that will be impartial and tell the truth.

Huge fan of the BBC myself. Quality TV, which leads the world.

Issue is its news reporting, which is alienating many. The stories are truthful, but many complain of giving the spotlight on left of centre/extreme liberal stories. I can see why they get such criticism.
However, the world would be a far far poorer place without the Beeb.
(02-09-2021, 08:47 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 08:38 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Is this where I post #defund the BBC whilst getting a stiffy at the thought of Fox ahem sorry GB News channel? A channel I’m sure that will be impartial and tell the truth.

Huge fan of the BBC myself. Quality TV, which leads the world.

Issue is its news reporting, which is alienating many. The stories are truthful, but many complain of giving the spotlight on left of centre/extreme liberal stories. I can see why they get such criticism.
However, the world would be a far far poorer place without the Beeb.

The news reporting annoys both the left and right which suggests in general it’s probably just about getting the balance right. It suffers imo from client journalism that simply passes on what the government says without scrutiny far more than ‘extreme liberal stories’. However if anyone thinks that news outlets like GB News will be in someway better then I point you to Fox News, Trump and the damage they did / do to the US.
It should be a subscription. Let the people who enjoy it continue to pay for it and have access when they want, those who don't can save a couple of hundred pounds and get their news/entertainment etc elsewhere.
(02-09-2021, 08:58 AM)Sliced Wrote: It should be a subscription. Let the people who enjoy it continue to pay for it and have access when they want, those who don't can save a couple of hundred pounds and get their news/entertainment etc elsewhere.

Is the correct answer and what will eventually happen and should have already had this set up online for overseas subscribers. 

The fee was relevant when first introduced as a tv could only be used for watching the BBC, but those days have long gone and they now need to be self funded.
Like Spandau, I'm a huge fan of the BBC. For 40p a day or whatever it is, what you get is astonishing. Quality high, breadth wide, and I think mostly spotlessly impartial. Derek's point above that they are criticised by both left and right suggests they get it right most of the time.

There are issues, but on the whole, I'm absolutely all for it.
(02-09-2021, 08:58 AM)Sliced Wrote: It should be a subscription. Let the people who enjoy it continue to pay for it and have access when they want, those who don't can save a couple of hundred pounds and get their news/entertainment etc elsewhere.

If you don’t have a national broadcaster big events like the Olympics and World Cup become less important to the country and in turn society becomes even more fragmented than it is already. Many aren’t going to subscribe to Sky or BT just so they can watch the Olympics for example so then those shared moments are lost to millions of families. 

It works out at what a few pence a day and for that you get several TV and radio stations. Compare that to the rip off prices of BT, Sky etc. If you’re not well off you’re reducing choice and entertainment not increasing it by making it subscription. Do we really want to be making the digital decide even wider than it is now?
(02-09-2021, 09:16 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

If you don’t have a national broadcaster big events like the Olympics and World Cup become less important to the country and in turn society becomes even more fragmented than it is already. Many aren’t going to subscribe to Sky or BT just so they can watch the Olympics for example so then those shared moments are lost to millions of families. 

It works out at what a few pence a day and for that you get several TV and radio stations. Compare that to the rip off prices of BT, Sky etc. If you’re not well off you’re reducing choice and entertainment not increasing it by making it subscription. Do we really want to be making the digital decide even wider than it is now?

I really don't think that our country will go into disarray because we can't all watch the Olympics on the BBC. The vast majority will still subscribe and pay, those who don't want to won't. Sorry, I don't buy this "the country will become more fragmented" argument at all. Look at us already.