Conspiracy Theories, falsehoods & Social Media
WTF happened to people's critical thinking? When did bullshit conspiracy theories spread across social media become more trusted than mainstream media? 

Currently we have: 

Covid Deniers
Antivaxxers
Trump supporters saying they won! 
Satanist in government drinking the blood of children
Computer Chip vaccines by Bill Gates
The Great Reset 
Lying / Misleading political campaigns 

I'm sure there are lots more but we should all be alarmed at the spread of this misinformation it will hinder vaccination, elections, referenda etc. I would say it's just the naivety of the young but I suspect it is affecting all age groups. Belief as replaced rational thought. Oddly the more information we have at our finger tips seems to leave people less enlightened some have become.
There appears to be a plague of confirmation bias going on. Billy kept putting up stats that were easily questioned but he just put more up, the approach appears to be that if they put up too much information then it becomes too difficult to challenge it all, so the unchallenged bits creep through into the new truth. Fucking madness.
I think it is critical thinking that has created distrust in MSM Dekka.

That doesn't mean I think Bill Gates is going to chip us. But we are in a situation where if anyone even questions the MSM (ie uses critical thinking - see Hawkins posts on vaccines a few days ago with very valid questions), they'll often get lumped in with people like "anti vaxxers". So I'd say those that follow MSM blindly are just as bad as the whacky conspiracy theorists for lacking critical thinking.

The Great Reset for example is openly out there as an idea by the WEF to get over Covid and create a more sustainable world. Its on Prince Charles website too. So is that a conspiracy theory itself? No. The conspiracy theory surrounding it (ie that the rich tech giants/pharma sat round a table and planned it all) exists, but that's the far end of the spectrum of views. But the issue is again - anyone who questions big pharma's role in the dealing with the pandemic (ie are they manipulating the situation), will get thrown in with the David Icke's of the world.

This seems particularly bizarre given many of the people that are rightly critical of the government for being "mixed up" with big companies (ie that government do favours for their chums in big business for their own profit) seem blind to the possibility of this happening with big pharma and the reaction to covid.

So I think the conspiracy theory popularity is only increased by suspicion of the MSM. And even more importantly, if people question any aspect of something (eg is a vaccines safe), they'll be thrown in with the loons.

In addition, I think censoring the spread of misinformation also increases the popularity of conspiracy theories. It makes a section of the public suspicious. I don't believe in this kind of censorship, I believe in open debate. For example, Boris a few weeks ago stated quite openly on tv that anti vaxxing ideas are nonsense. So who is he saying has nonsense ideas? People like me who have had tons of vaccines, but I'm not in a rush for this one? So that makes me an anti vaxxer all of a sudden? There's so much polarisation going on. Back to my point in censorship, youtube etc are taking down tons of anti-vax "misinformation". So who decides what is misinformation? Rather than censorship, I'd much prefer a two hour live debate on terrestrial tv where scientists can challenge the anti-vax views, not shut down debate through censorship. I believe that would get more of the public onside, whereas censorship makes people suspicious.
Agree with most of that BB and there are some good questions raised for example the question around fertility, however a bit of research into it and it can be shown to be easily answered (well with some faith in experts and their words)

But the problem with giving them a platform can be that they are very convincing and are experienced bullshitters (For every Nick Griffin you have a Nigel Farage) and that will add fuel to the fire especially if the expert isn't someone that is good at public speaking.
I really don't think it makes any difference if you are convinced in you're mind about something you are not going to change you're mind...... The stuff I see on twitter about these lockdowns and anti maskers is scary they must get up at 6am and RT stuff all day until the early hours fuck knows what their partners are thinking living with a tin foil hat loon in the flat.
(12-08-2020, 02:38 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: WTF happened to people's critical thinking?

Oh my days Big Grin
(12-08-2020, 02:38 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: WTF happened to people's critical thinking? 

Too many people ready to just settle for "Least worst" unfortunately Derek.

What's to be done?
(12-08-2020, 04:39 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Oh my days Big Grin

This from someone whose critical thinking is akin to...

[Image: Superman_019Pyxurz.jpg]

Only less flexible.
Ossian Wrote:
Derek Hardballs Wrote:WTF happened to people's critical thinking? 

Too many people ready to just settle for "Least worst" unfortunately Derek.

What's to be done?
That is actually my position at each General Election!
I think Backside Baggie makes some good points. I was listening to a radio debate re conspiracy theories. The main thing that strikes me is that most of them start with something that actually happened. (i.e. the Gates talk when he said the world was overpopulated). I suppose if you can pad even the most far fetched theories with a couple of truths then there is basis for an argument. I've said before on here, (as someone that finds himself regularly debating with a conspiracy theorist), that trying to get them to change their minds is impossible. We need to face the fact that truth is regularly stranger than fiction and be transparent in everything. For example, it doesn't help rational arguing when the government awards a £12B contract to a party doner with a dubious track record and no experience of the actual industry. There are many more examples but when people digest this they simply shrug and are no longer surprised at anything that goes on.
Further, there is one other thing I've noticed. I've never won any argument with a conspiracy theorist by insulting their intelligence or labelling them as crackpot. Although, I don't remember ever winning any such argument at all.