UK Covid death toll
(09-23-2020, 10:33 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Are saying no lockdown measures at all apart from asking everyone shielding to stay in their houses plus their families? How many times have you dodged this question now?

No, that's entirely a figment of your imagination. Repeated ad nauseum.
(09-23-2020, 10:33 AM)Fido Wrote: Is anyone keeping a tally of how many times DH misses the point on this thread?

What point am I missing? I know it’s a trade off between the economy and health. I know that to support the most vulnerable you need taxes to help them. Please point out where I have suggested otherwise? The choice and my point was it should not be shielders you stay indoors for the foreseeable everyone else go about things as you wish.
(09-23-2020, 11:17 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 10:33 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Are saying no lockdown measures at all apart from asking everyone shielding to stay in their houses plus their families? How many times have you dodged this question now?

So apart from shielding, what protections to public health would you put in place?
(09-23-2020, 11:58 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

So apart from shielding, what protections to public health would you put in place?

Social distancing, testing & contact tracing. Protection for the homeless and asylum seekers. Masks if you want to, even though there's not much evidence they help. That's pretty much it.

Mass suppression will cost at least as many lives (and far more livelihoods) than it saves. The latest suggestion that we'll be in this situation for a further six months will lay waste to swathes of the economy. And like it or not, there is an opportunity cost decision to make.
(09-23-2020, 12:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 11:58 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Social distancing, testing & contact tracing. Protection for the homeless and asylum seekers. Masks if you want to, even though there's not much evidence they help. That's pretty much it.

Mass suppression will cost at least as many lives (and far more livelihoods) than it saves. The latest suggestion that we'll be in this situation for a further six months will lay waste to swathes of the economy. And like it or not, there is an opportunity cost decision to make.

You're only saying this so you are allowed out to count your bullion in your vault and drink Peroni in West One.

Yours,

Derek.
(09-23-2020, 12:51 PM)Fido Wrote: You're only saying this so you are allowed out to count your bullion in your vault and drink Peroni in West One.

Yours,

Derek.

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to West One.
this has the potential to be very unfair on the youth of our country.

stopped from going out and faced with having to pay for it for years to come.
That will teach them for going out partying and not really giving a flying fuck for the older generation.
(09-23-2020, 01:10 PM)foreveralbion Wrote: this has the potential to be very unfair on the youth of our country.

stopped from going out and faced with having to pay for it for years to come.

Especially coming on the back of the greatest transfer of wealth from the youngest to the eldest between 2008-2010.

It's not the stopped from going out that concerns me, it's the mass youth unemployment in irrecoverable sectors and the social unrest that follows.
6,178 new cases just announced.

Quite a jump. What was it a week ago?