Schools
(06-13-2020, 12:24 PM)Topman Wrote: Wow, the amount of uniformed comments regarding this topic is unreal. Schools are not the problem, nor teachers, we are desperate for the kids to come back and start to repair the damage done. And by the way if anyone thinks it will just be business as usually when they do return will be mistaken. There will be many sessions needed on mental health over this as some kids will not have seen anyone for months, so people who think we can just take off from where we left off please understand this. Schools are following the guidelines put in place by the government but yet we are painted the bad guys as we dont want to go back to work. Moving forward i agree we need normality as best we can by Sept but unless the rule changes we will be stuck. We may have to run extended days or even Saturday schools but how that will work regarding salaries is anyone guess as the government will not cough up. I certainly would want some form of compensation working longer hours ect, and before anyone suggests we just do it, I have been working non stop from home since March, we have not been furloughed.

Exactly but the populists want to ‘believe’ it’s anyone’s fault but the party they voted for. A party / governments who when the going gets tough and feck up, look to blame someone else. The list is ever growing from wasteful frontline NHS staff to teachers... shameful and cowardly. It has feck all to do with reality but that doesn’t matter to the ‘base’.
(06-13-2020, 02:08 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 12:50 PM)Ossian Wrote: As would any government, if only to compensate for the effects of inflation. The Tories also gave it a shiny new name, presumably in the hope that some might be persuaded that it actually is the real living wage. No harm in trying.

How about 4x inflation for the over 25s? Or more than 2x inflation for Apprentices?

That wasn't the point I was trying to make: unless they repeal the 1998 act it can only go in one direction, so any incumbent government is bound to have minimum wage at its historic high. Even the the effects of inflationary increments will take care of that, regardless of any other adjustments.
(06-13-2020, 12:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 07:44 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: This is a wonderful example of hyperbole and I suspect you are indulging yourself in a spot of winding up the lefties.....

...For example introducing the minimum wage, Sure Starts.

WUM? Moi?

You'll note that the Tory government has raised the Minimum Wage to the highest level ever. Sure Start was rightly closed as it became essentially a talking shop for chattering middle class mothers (like Mrs P). Hardly anyone from the target communities attended. A complete waste of money, even allowing for Kneeling Angela Rayner.
When you are out canvassing I imagine you wear a bowler hat and turn-ups so deep you grow leeks in them
(06-11-2020, 07:44 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: This is a wonderful example of hyperbole and I suspect you are indulging yourself in a spot of winding up the lefties.....

WUM? Moi?

You'll note that the Tory government has raised the Minimum Wage to the highest level ever. Sure Start was rightly closed as it became essentially a talking shop for chattering middle class mothers (like Mrs P). Hardly anyone from the target communities attended. A complete waste of money, even allowing for Kneeling Angela Rayner.

And yet the Conservatives in opposition voted against the introduction of the minimum wage - in fairness that's what opposition parties tend to do. But it is a fair question to ask would the Conservatives ever introduced this kind of legislation.

On Sure Start it is absolute fair for you to argue the effectiveness of the scheme (I might disagree with you on that) - but that wasn't really my point. I was demonstrating a desire on the part of labour to improve the life opportunities of the most disadvantaged people in our society.
(06-14-2020, 08:06 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

WUM? Moi?

And yet the Conservatives in opposition voted against the introduction of the minimum wage - in fairness that's what opposition parties tend to do. But it is a fair question to ask would the Conservatives ever introduced this kind of legislation.

On Sure Start it is absolute fair for you to argue the effectiveness of the scheme (I might disagree with you on that) - but that wasn't really my point. I was demonstrating a desire on the part of labour to improve the life opportunities of the most disadvantaged people in our society.

Quite, the cuts for a decade to youth services, public health, schools, the disabled, libraries, culture tell the real story of how much they value helping the most the disadvantaged.
(06-14-2020, 08:06 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

WUM? Moi?

They were able to support Blair when war is involved.  In fact did not more tory MPs vote to go in to Iraq than labour MPs.
(06-13-2020, 08:56 PM)Baggybenny Wrote: When you are out canvassing I imagine you wear a bowler hat and turn-ups so deep you grow leeks in them

M&S twin set, pearls and a hat usually

So I'm going to be abe to take the kids to the pub, McDonalds, shopping at Merry Hill, Go Ape in the Wyre Forest and rallying in the Forest of Dean before they can go back to school.

Absolutely fucking pathetic.
(06-14-2020, 09:59 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 08:56 PM)Baggybenny Wrote: When you are out canvassing I imagine you wear a bowler hat and turn-ups so deep you grow leeks in them

M&S twin set, pearls and a hat usually

So I'm going to be abe to take the kids to the pub, McDonalds, shopping at Merry Hill, Go Ape in the Wyre Forest and rallying in the Forest of Dean before they can go back to school.

Absolutely fucking pathetic.

They'll learn more in different ways and have fun. And family life. What's not to like.
Plenty of them queuing up to get into Primark this morning with mom and dad - bet they'd rather be at school.
I have resigned from the Tory Party today over the issue of education. I cannot actively campaign for a party that puts commercial interests above children's education.