The last clap
(05-28-2020, 07:48 PM)Baggybenny Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 07:41 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 07:10 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Hmm. Count me out

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020...e-hospital

You won’t clap fir the NHS hard work and lifting their own safety for others because of that story?

That sir makes you look a bit of a cunt.

No need to resort to Liq. vocab. 
You are right though.

Your probably right.

Clap or don’t clap, each to their own.  I haven’t clapped every week if I’ve been doing other things, but to use that as some excuse and justification is a bit bizarre.

He is a Tory so I guess it’s inbred to default to anti anything public sector.
(05-28-2020, 07:40 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Haven't bothered for the last couple of weeks. Won't go into why on the 'non-politics'board but suffice to say I love our NHS and all it stands for but think it has become a bit like the poppy.

Well I understand your meaning but so what if it is? A number of nurses have commented on how they appreciate it so that'll do for me.   I'm not given to open shows of gratitude or emotion and stand tucked away firmly in the shadows, feeling self conscious and leaving Mrs. Tom up front, but being honest, it's just a small but decent thing to do.
(05-28-2020, 07:54 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 07:40 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: Haven't bothered for the last couple of weeks. Won't go into why on the 'non-politics'board but suffice to say I love our NHS and all it stands for but think it has become a bit like the poppy.

Well I understand your meaning but so what if it is? A number of nurses have commented on how they appreciate it so that'll do for me.   I'm not given to open shows of gratitude or emotion and stand tucked away firmly in the shadows, feeling self conscious and leaving Mrs. Tom up front, but being honest, it's just a small but decent thing to do.

No problem with people doing it. I did for 6 weeks. These guys are heroes and if that's how some want to show their gratitude then so be it.
Well the snarky bs has crept in . I’m sure the Tory’s and theirs voters will put the boot in again .
Sunshine is a cunt.
I have his post copied.
When he reappears I will use it.
Well done for banning him - just make sure its permanent.
What have I missed?
Wow....I go away to catch up on the last couple of episodes of The Lat Kingdom and it appears there has been more bloodshed here than in Wessex!
(05-28-2020, 07:10 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Hmm. Count me out

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020...e-hospital

I can think of far greater examples of poor NHS treatment than that. Sometimes it gets things very badly wrong indeed and the fight and cost to families trying to find out what happened is far too high.

But overall, it gets more right than it gets wrong and should be appreciated for that. I've worked in NHS and private hospitals and if I needed anything more than a chat with a consultant in plush surroundings, it's the NHS hospital I would go to any time.

However, the clap sits uncomfortably with me, much as the fawning over the armed forces in the 00s did. Making people heroes on account of the paid work they've chosen to do never ends well.
I gave up when those bloody tik tok videos started. The frontline workers in any profession get my utmost respect but the look at me I'm a hero attitude of a lot of NHS workers that are nowhere near any wards really narked me.....and my Mrs who incidentally works on a non ICU/COVID ward at RHH. She hasn't used her NHS "privilege" to get to the front of any queue since day one of this because she feels that she doesn't deserve to. During last week's shop a woman pushed passed her and everybody else in the queue at Tesco Cradley Heath to get to the clothes section upstairs flashing her NHS card like it was a Victoria Cross.
Our clinic did a tik tok . We weren’t Covid but blimey the transition was really hard and very busy for three weeks . Quite a few staff got pretty ill , a lot more were of isolating . But we couldn’t shut . All frontline from bin men to checkout worked very hard. But Christ those 50k on Covid wards deserve claps and thanks . Fuck the grimey backlash.