Self Employed
(03-28-2020, 09:07 AM)The liquidator Wrote: No the agency they work for dont tax them they have to do it themselves I know I worked for them for 2 years .you get an accountant and he normally sorts it out..

I've worked under a umbrella company aswell it's just a tax fiddle on a weekly basis instead at the end of the year ..

If you operate though a genuinely compliant umbrella company, you still end up paying your fair share of tax. 
For those that use some glorified tax avoidance scheme, the problem is that for anyone gloating about how much tax they’re getting away with, what they really mean is they just ain’t been caught yet.
(03-28-2020, 08:58 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 08:04 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 11:00 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 03:06 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 10:33 AM)sickParrot Wrote: I dont agree that someone who has earned £150,000 for the past 3 years will get £2500 per month and yet someone who has earned £51,000 for the same period will get nothing.

They won't though will they, they'll both get £2,500, is how I read it. Or do you mean someone who has earned £51k over 3 years?

As I understand it, someone in employment on £150,000 pa will get the £2,500 per month, but someone self-employed earning £51,000 pa will get nothing. Which doesn't seem quite right. There seems to be a presumption that self-employed are a bit dodgy, therefore obviously have a huge stash somewhere, maybe in a lock-up, and a minder called Terry to sort things out for them.

What isn't clear to me is whether the "80% up to £2,500 per month" is a direct payment to the employee or a subsidy for the employer to keep said employee on the books. There's nothing in my terms of employment about sending me home on reduced or zero pay, although this does happen in our US and Canada operations.

Yep this nonsense that freelancers are all dodging tax / cash in hand is bollocks. I know a lot of freelancers and they are honest people who pay their taxes. How many of those off work, work for companies that don’t bend the tax rules to almost breaking point?

This. The days of "cheaper for cash" have long gone. Cash is an inconvenience now. Everything is bank transfers with a trail to follow. There is no safety net, no bank holidays, sick pay, no tribunals. Every morning we wake up there is nothing on the scoreboard and we start from scratch. It's a hard life but I could never work for anyone now.  Those that suggest there is wholesale underhand behaviour should take comfort in that the payments are a direct reflection of the tax returns. The upper limit is fair, as I said earlier, these payments are to tide us over not make us rich.

I can assure you they have not!!!
(03-28-2020, 09:07 AM)The liquidator Wrote: No the agency they work for dont tax them they have to do it themselves I know I worked for them for 2 years .you get an accountant and he normally sorts it out..

I've worked under a umbrella company aswell it's just a tax fiddle on a weekly basis instead at the end of the year ..
An umbrella company isn’t a tax fiddle.  Big Grin

Just because you know someone breaking the law who hasn’t been caught by the taxman yet doesn’t make the majority of self employed people dodgy. It’s like saying that all football fans teetotal because you once sat next to someone who doesn’t drink at a game.
(03-28-2020, 09:39 AM)sickParrot Wrote:

An umbrella company isn’t a tax fiddle.  Big Grin

Just because you know someone breaking the law who hasn’t been caught by the taxman yet doesn’t make the majority of self employed people dodgy. It’s like saying that all football fans teetotal because you once sat next to someone who doesn’t drink at a game.

You mean putting false mileage and for ppe and for food and mobile on your weekly statements ......please dont have your eyes closed I know how it works been there and got the T shirt.
Maybe you are on to something here, let’s boycott all small local businesses in the future and only use big national and international giants as we all know that the big boys pay their tax fair and square.
I dont really care who pays or not as long as I'm clear that's all that counts .....good luck to them I say who fucks the tax man .
(03-28-2020, 09:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I dont really care who pays or not as long as I'm clear that's all that counts .....good luck to them I say who fucks the tax man .

... and the NHS, education, emergency services etc ...
Your not in this conversation do one
(03-28-2020, 09:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote: You mean putting false mileage and for ppe and for food and mobile on your weekly statements ......please dont have your eyes closed I know how it works been there and got the T shirt.

I dont really care who pays or not as long as I'm clear that's all that counts .....good luck to them I say who fucks the tax man .

I’m hoping for your sake that your admission of previous tax fiddling was more than 20 years ago as HMRC can go back that far to investigate tax fraud.
They can go through mine with a fine tooth comb .......I had a tax bill for £10.000 the fucking idiots when I was disabled for 10 years and I sent them letter after letter with proof off the DWP......one thing you cant do is fuck about with tax man they can take the lot off you .

(03-28-2020, 10:27 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 09:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote: You mean putting false mileage and for ppe and for food and mobile on your weekly statements ......please dont have your eyes closed I know how it works been there and got the T shirt.

I’m hoping for your sake that your admission of previous tax fiddling was more than 20 years ago as HMRC can go back that far to investigate tax fraud.

How could they prove what job I was on and where I was working that's why the lads use them