Rail seating at The Hawthorns
Totally agree with you Backsidebaggie. Whatever the merits of the argument for safe standing are, as things currently stand, it’s still illegal to stand. So it’s a bit like having a 30 mph speed limit on a road but on the basis that most people will drive faster than that, we may as well remove all the speed signs and let everyone drive as fast as they want. Quite odd.
(11-15-2019, 02:26 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 02:16 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 02:07 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: I find this a bit bizarre, same as the installation at wolves.

I'm not against safe standing at all, quite happy for it to be allowed.

But the thing is, its still illegal to stand at a prem or champ match. Wolves installed it, and looks like we're following, but the rules remain the same, you're still supposed to sit as its illegal to stand. Installing rails hasn't changed the law.

Its odd that there's been attempts to get the laws changed for years, but its not happened, so instead clubs (started by wolves) have just decided to install the rail seats anyway. I'm amazed there hasn't been more fuss about this, as the introduction of rails encourages people to stand, which is still illegal (even though its safer to stand with rails!).

I don't find it bizarre in the slightest. Sections of the Smethwick (and the back of the Brummie) stand anyway, same with in the South Bank at Molineux. That is in spite of attempts to get them to stop, clubs have tried everything. If people are going to stand, install the rails as it's magnitudes safer than the standard seats. Clubs should be praised for having common sense, and nothing in the law prohibits the installation of rail seating.

Yeah I know all that, that wasn't my point though. What I mean is this debate has been going on for years - whether should safe standing be legalised. The safety commissions etc have consistently tried to prevent standing and threatened grounds with closure if they don't try to stop standing. I'm surprised the installation of rails hasn't been slated by them, saying it actually encourages standing (which is against the law, even though the rails aren't), when the clubs have constantly been battered to try to stop standing (hence the stewards doing what they do).

I agree with safe standing, that's not what I find odd. What's odd is that there's been years of attempts to bring it in, petitions to parliament etc, we had an application rejected, safety bodies have threatened grounds with closure for persistent standing, then out the blue a few clubs are just installing it anyway, and there's not been a peep about it, despite standing still being illegal. That's what I find odd.

Fair enough, sorry for missing your point.
(11-15-2019, 02:49 PM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: Totally agree with you Backsidebaggie. Whatever the merits of the argument for safe standing are, as things currently stand, it’s still illegal to stand. So it’s a bit like having a 30 mph speed limit on a road but on the basis that most people will drive faster than that, we may as well remove all the speed signs and let everyone drive as fast as they want. Quite odd.

Agreed its very strange.

Or to put it another way, why did clubs spend about a decade trying to get the law changed, if now they're just installing it anyway! Might as well have done that in the first place!

Given the lawmakers/safety folk have spent years and years threatening clubs with stand closures and trying to do everything to discourage standing, I'm astounded that such a blatant encouragement for standing is happening without a peep from anyone.

Opinion on whether it should be legal is irrelevant here (I think it should be legal, like many). The fact is standing ain't legal.
Just the one bit of rail being erected behind disabled seating, to protect from surge when we score.
(11-15-2019, 05:47 PM)richbaggie Wrote: Just the one bit of rail being erected behind disabled seating, to protect from surge when we score.

They should have bought back Pulis instead.
And here was I thinking how illogical it would be sticking in banks of three seats facing each other.
Its illegal WAAAAAHHHH I don't think anyone standing will be on Police 5 anytime soon
Looking at the seats that have been removed, they were fucked anyway, from being stood on!
Like Fox hunting. That's illegal but the bstards still do it. And because the judges are their friends and family, they get off with it scot free.

At least standing at a game doesnt hurt anyone or anything!
(11-15-2019, 06:47 PM)4-hero Wrote: Its illegal WAAAAAHHHH I don't think anyone standing will be on Police 5 anytime soon

Maybe not, but if there was an 'incident' with casualties it would leave the club in a very difficult, and expensive, position.