Highlight of Pulis’s reign?
(02-02-2019, 12:44 PM)tiptontown Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 12:26 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 10:52 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote: One that will always stick in my mind, was the Man Utd 0 - 1 in the 15/16 season. I was prawn sandwiching.

We had 8 defensive players in the starting 11! The Myhill save from Van Persie, the Olsson deflected goal, reached the 40 point mark, 20% possession!

Several Baggies hammered drunk, me included in Knights Lounge, lots of miserable looking toff Utd fans. Great day!

There's not that many to chose from really.

There were a number of good results and some of them were even so good I felt we deserved it rather than being fortunate  - winning by snatch and grab, defending for 90% of the game and time wasting. But as you say not many to pick - most performances left you dissatisfied win lose or draw because it was so dire. The wins against the big clubs stand out because the negative approach had justification. But it also showed how good the squad was and how unjustified it was to be negative every game.

And you could see that we would be in the same position how ever much TP spent as that was all he seemed to know. I still can't believe we appointed him given his reputation football wise and in terms of his character - lost us support even when our league position was decent and we were the only West Midlands club in the league. 

Put us on a path for the drop and no one was sorry to see us go. A shame - DM is doing a good job to reverse the trend and feel of the place but so much damage has been done. Let's hope the club never make a mistake that bad again.

....and that is not re-writing history. One of the main reasons I thought we should've had no more than 18 months with him. Such a divisive character. Which is something we knew before he came and planned for.

(02-02-2019, 12:42 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 12:26 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 10:52 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote: One that will always stick in my mind, was the Man Utd 0 - 1 in the 15/16 season. I was prawn sandwiching.

We had 8 defensive players in the starting 11! The Myhill save from Van Persie, the Olsson deflected goal, reached the 40 point mark, 20% possession!

Several Baggies hammered drunk, me included in Knights Lounge, lots of miserable looking toff Utd fans. Great day!

There's not that many to chose from really.

There were a number of good results and some of them were even so good I felt we deserved it rather than being fortunate  - winning by snatch and grab, defending for 90% of the game and time wasting. But as you say not many to pick - most performances left you dissatisfied win lose or draw because it was so dire. The wins against the big clubs stand out because the negative approach had justification. But it also showed how good the squad was and how unjustified it was to be negative every game.

And you could see that we would be in the same position how ever much TP spent as that was all he seemed to know. I still can't believe we appointed him given his reputation football wise and in terms of his character - lost us support even when our league position was decent and we were the only West Midlands club in the league. 

Put us on a path for the drop and no one was sorry to see us go. A shame - DM is doing a good job to reverse the trend and feel of the place but so much damage has been done. Let's hope the club never make a mistake that bad again.

We were going down before he arrived the road to relegation was long and wind not a straight highway to hell. The squad wasn’t great it was bang average and the season we finished 9th we squeezed the pups out of the 14 or so players we had to achieve that position. Also there were several good performance and results along the way. 

This is what I mean by rewriting history.

10th. All a matter of opinion Derek, but we finished on 45 points, which I thought was about par for the first 11 - 14 players we had (and no cup run in either competition). We all know though that league position can alter wildly for teams outside the top 8. 
There was  a time when we looked like breaking the 50 point barrier and 8th position (even 7th at one stage) looked on, but we tailed off badly after Feb which was typical of a Pulis team. Now that would've been an over achievement if that had happened.

You have to put his employment into context though. The club was a complete shambles when he arrived, just look at the squad he inherited from the Burton and Irvine era. Barely any resale value, no coaches that hadn’t been discredited and a team only heading one way... down. Who else was there to keep us up that season? Who could have done better position wise the next? DM himself says he gave the club structure again and results for two thirds of his time with us. He should have gone earlier but the choice of coaches / managers at the time who were better placed to keep us up could be written on a postage stamp.

Messages In This Thread
Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by SW4Baggie - 02-02-2019, 09:45 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Psalm23 - 02-02-2019, 10:11 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Cola - 02-02-2019, 10:52 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Baggie66 - 02-02-2019, 09:54 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Psalm23 - 02-02-2019, 11:38 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Duffers - 02-02-2019, 10:07 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Brunty - 02-02-2019, 10:10 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Brunty - 02-02-2019, 10:07 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Jezstatham - 02-02-2019, 08:01 PM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Sliced - 02-02-2019, 10:09 AM
RE: Highlight of Pulis’s reign? - by Duffers - 02-02-2019, 10:14 AM