Boris Johnson
(07-02-2022, 03:20 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 09:56 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 07:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Why are you avoiding the question? It’s a simple one. I voted for Sajid Javid, who did you vote for?

We share an MP Proth. Saj is my local guy too.

I voted for Saj as well. Not next time though. Ge will still be re-elected, though.

Undoubtedly true in a constituency where you could pin a blue rosette on Julie Kirkbride and still be confident that the Tories would win.

Edit: Mind, somebody who lives in the constituency that sent Suzanne Webb to Westminster is probably in no position to comment; not that I voted for her*. That she actually managed to increase the majority probably says everything you need to know.

* Pete Lowe, as it happens, Proth; well aware that his chances in the constituency were no better than they had been in 2015 and 2017, or indeed Corbyn's nationally. Put it down to rage against the machine.
(07-02-2022, 04:48 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 03:20 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 09:56 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 07:35 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Why are you avoiding the question? It’s a simple one. I voted for Sajid Javid, who did you vote for?

We share an MP Proth. Saj is my local guy too.

I voted for Saj as well. Not next time though. Ge will still be re-elected, though.

Undoubtedly true in a constituency where you could pin a blue rosette on Julie Kirkbride and still be confident that the Tories would win.

Edit: Mind, somebody who lives in the constituency that sent Suzanne Webb to Westminster is probably in no position to comment; not that I voted for her*. That she actually managed to increase the majority probably says everything you need to know.

* Pete Lowe, as it happens, Proth; well aware that his chances in the constituency were no better than they had been in 2015 and 2017, or indeed Corbyn's nationally. Put it down to rage against the machine.

Ahh Pete “not keen on Jews” Lowe……
Is that an attributable quote, seeing as it's bracketed in speech marks?
(07-02-2022, 08:48 PM)Ossian Wrote: Is that an attributable quote, seeing as it's bracketed in speech marks?

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/poli...ic-tweets/

(07-02-2022, 02:41 PM)baggy1 Wrote: In answer to your question, Im not certain to be honest. 

Apologies if you felt I was stalking you, it wasn't my intention.  Big Grin

You're really not certain how you voted in 2019? 

OK. For someone who's clearly politically engaged I find that somewhat odd - particularly as there were only 4 candidates including serial no-hoper Nick Stephens.

And you're right the thread is about BJ. I have explained why I voted Tory; one of those reasons was to prevent someone much worse, surrounded by people much much worse from entering Downing Street. I'll never be embarrassed to admit I helped to keep Corbyn out of power - far from it.

It appears it's very hard for some on here to reconcile that there are plenty of us who hold the current government in contempt (for various reasons) yet do not regret their vote in 2019. I can't figure why that's so difficult to understand. Surely even the most anti-Iraq Labour voter wouldn't have regretted voting for Blair in 1997?
(07-04-2022, 12:02 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 08:48 PM)Ossian Wrote: Is that an attributable quote, seeing as it's bracketed in speech marks?

(07-02-2022, 02:41 PM)baggy1 Wrote: In answer to your question, Im not certain to be honest. 

OK. For someone who's clearly politically engaged I find that somewhat odd - particularly as there were only 4 candidates including serial no-hoper Nick Stephens.

And you're right the thread is about BJ. I have explained why I voted Tory; one of those reasons was to prevent someone much worse, surrounded by people much much worse from entering Downing Street. I'll never be embarrassed to admit I helped to keep Corbyn out of power - far from it.

It appears it's very hard for some on here to reconcile that there are plenty of us who hold the current government in contempt (for various reasons) yet do not regret their vote in 2019. I can't figure why that's so difficult to understand. Surely even the most anti-Iraq Labour voter wouldn't have regretted voting for Blair in 1997?

Big Grin  Don't worry, i wasn't watching the ring doorbell and telling the missus to turn out the lights, it was just a little intense for a Friday night  Big Grin

And the reason I became more politically aware was because of Brexit, and then seeing the way that the country was going and seemingly unaware that it was giving carte blanche to a very dangerous man who simply lied through his teeth at every opportunity and played it off as buffoonery. I could also see that Corbyn was a disaster for the main opposition as he was unelectable, which is why I joined the Labour party so that I could have a say in trying to fix some of the problems by, at least, providing a credible opposition.

All of the problems we are facing now are down to years of Tory dismantling of the state machinery over the last decade and a bit. It doesn't matter what has happened in the past be that with Blair or Corbyn, or in your case Johnson, the point that is being made is that you have a longstanding point that you voted for the least worst when you voted for Johnson. You must now see the damage that he is doing by simply dragging everything out, not just to the country but to the Tory party as well, therefore if he is still standing at the next election I would expect you to hold your nose and, again, vote for the least worst (in your opinion).

As for the vote, I genuinely cannot remember if I voted for the Greens (with no other option apart from cock and balls) in the locals or the GE - definitely one of them. It wasn't until a few months before Starmer was elected that I joined (it was the December just before the deadline to be able to vote) which was directly after the 2019 GE so I wasn't beholden to Labour at that election and voting for Labour in my neck of the woods was less effective than cock and balls.
(07-04-2022, 01:07 PM)baggy1 Wrote:

Big Grin  Don't worry, i wasn't watching the ring doorbell and telling the missus to turn out the lights, it was just a little intense for a Friday night  Big Grin

And the reason I became more politically aware was because of Brexit, and then seeing the way that the country was going and seemingly unaware that it was giving carte blanche to a very dangerous man who simply lied through his teeth at every opportunity and played it off as buffoonery. I could also see that Corbyn was a disaster for the main opposition as he was unelectable, which is why I joined the Labour party so that I could have a say in trying to fix some of the problems by, at least, providing a credible opposition.

All of the problems we are facing now are down to years of Tory dismantling of the state machinery over the last decade and a bit. It doesn't matter what has happened in the past be that with Blair or Corbyn, or in your case Johnson, the point that is being made is that you have a longstanding point that you voted for the least worst when you voted for Johnson. You must now see the damage that he is doing by simply dragging everything out, not just to the country but to the Tory party as well, therefore if he is still standing at the next election I would expect you to hold your nose and, again, vote for the least worst (in your opinion).

Something something Corbyn would be worse, Remainers created Johnson, Brexit would work if it was done my way, big state is the problem, austerity didn’t happen really and Brown sold all the gold….

Yours Proth

Ps I’m very comfortable with Cummins and Boris is ok!
(07-04-2022, 01:07 PM)baggy1 Wrote:

As for the vote, I genuinely cannot remember if I voted for the Greens (with no other option apart from cock and balls) in the locals or the GE - definitely one of them. It wasn't until a few months before Starmer was elected that I joined (it was the December just before the deadline to be able to vote) which was directly after the 2019 GE so I wasn't beholden to Labour at that election and voting for Labour in my neck of the woods was less effective than cock and balls.

What has been dismantled? The state has grown relentlessly over the last decade. If you're asking anyone to take you seriously then at least admit that the size of state has grown "less quickly" than you'd like it to have. Any notion of "dismantling" is for the birds.

I think I've pointed out awful policies from the Tories on here since they came to power in 2010. I have always had (and posted) my fundamental differences with the approaches they've taken particularly to the economy and housing, and now they're proceeding in a post-Brexit direction completely contrary to the one I'd have liked. As it is they're not currently a party I could vote for, nor are any of the others as unless there's a party that can take us off this trajectory (there isn't) in every case I'd be voting to make my family and wider society worse off in the long run (IMO).

Labour and the Tories broadly agree on everything. It's just the scale and speed of the spending that differs. Scrape away the mould of moral rectitude (arf) and there are no big differences in principle any more.

If there was an election tomorrow the only vote I'd cast is for a plague on all their houses. I will not vote for the Tories whilst that man, and his ilk are in charge.
Does Johnson ever tell the truth?

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson...t-12646002
I keep hearing, and reading, that Johnson is 'under pressure' because of whatever happen to be the latest allegations; in reality the latest allegations - whatever they may be - just seem to have the effect of cleaning the slate of everything that preceded them. In parliament he is only required to deal with these issues one at a time, and invariably gets away with not doing so; the cumulative effect seems to be restricted to by-election results.

The chances of a coup emanating from arguably the most inept government front bench in history - certainly post-war - are minimal with the likes of Raab, Cleverly, Dorries, Patel, Truss, Gove, Rees-Mogg, and Shapps-Green all in hock to Johnson for their ministerial salaries and perks.
(07-05-2022, 09:46 AM)Ossian Wrote: I keep hearing, and reading, that Johnson is 'under pressure' because of whatever happen to be the latest allegations; in reality the latest allegations - whatever they may be - just seem to have the effect of cleaning the slate of everything that preceded them. In parliament he is only required to deal with these issues one at a time, and invariably gets away with not doing so; the cumulative effect seems to be restricted to by-election results.

The chances of a coup emanating from arguably the most inept government front bench in history - certainly post-war - are minimal with the likes of Raab, Cleverly, Dorries, Patel, Truss, Gove, Rees-Mogg, and Shapps-Green all in hock to Johnson for their ministerial salaries and perks.

If you look at the Confidence Vote, it was "the payroll" that kept Johnson in post.