Anyone even back into the work office yet?
(08-03-2020, 01:12 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: Desk and a PC... I don't have an extra room, I just use the dining room, are people really renting themselves extra space just because they can't go into the office?!

Not at the moment. It's very reasonable what your company is doing.

I was explaining why I thought Kitkat's vision may not turn into reality.

In the future, according to KitKat, the option of working in an office will be taken away from you. I can see issues with that. You might not want to work from your dining room for the rest of your working life, maybe sharing it with your partner's job or your kids new jobs or whoever else lives there. At the very least, you've lost a dining room, so you would probably have to think about moving to get the extra space back. Who's going to pay for that? Have a guess!

This is one of the reasons I think offices will stay. Not everyone has the space and companies won't be willing to pay the full price to enable employees to pay for it. If they did, it would be cheaper to have an office!!

Of course, some will love it and consider it a fair deal - which is fair enough.

Some will want to work from an office, some will have to work from an office and others will choose not to. Personally, I think that sort of mix is the future.

Hopefully, this will happen with demand causing office rental to go down, whilst somehow house prices staying relatively 'affordable' despite the demand for more personal 'office' space!
(08-03-2020, 10:58 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 10:57 AM)Morley Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 10:31 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 10:16 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 10:57 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: It's the logistics. If you are in an office tower block, and need to use a lift to reach your floor, it will take hours to fill and empty the building.

We have instructions 1 person per lift. We are on the 7th floor. I can walk but others aren't so mobile and will have to take the lift. Will get big queues for the lift. Imagine what it will be like for the Sky scrapers in London with 40+ floors.
Personally think companies now realise work can be undertaken at home by most office workers. Perfect opportunity for them to save cost on office rental, heating etc by allowing workers to stay at home.

The heating costs is one of the main reasons a lot of workers will be keen to return to the office in winter IMO. They won't be so keen on home working when their home heating costs are going up 50 quid a week. Its also not a case of whether people "can" do their job, its the things you lose out on - learning faster from others, office culture, mental health through interaction. I can see most places allowing 1 or 2 days a week at home (my place already has for the last 2 years), but I fully expect offices to be back by next year once social distancing ends.

£50 per week on heating?  What are you burning gold?  I currently pay £70 per month for gas, your valuation has me paying £200.

Lol, perhaps I over estimated Smile

The point stands though, 8-9 hours more heating per day in a cold winter will seriously add up.
Balanced by savings on commuting and working awayf rom home (rail, petrol, DERV, eating out lunches and coffees etc)
(08-03-2020, 01:51 PM)hudds Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 10:31 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 10:16 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: We have instructions 1 person per lift. We are on the 7th floor. I can walk but others aren't so mobile and will have to take the lift. Will get big queues for the lift. Imagine what it will be like for the Sky scrapers in London with 40+ floors.
Personally think companies now realise work can be undertaken at home by most office workers. Perfect opportunity for them to save cost on office rental, heating etc by allowing workers to stay at home.

The heating costs is one of the main reasons a lot of workers will be keen to return to the office in winter IMO. They won't be so keen on home working when their home heating costs are going up 50 quid a week. Its also not a case of whether people "can" do their job, its the things you lose out on - learning faster from others, office culture, mental health through interaction. I can see most places allowing 1 or 2 days a week at home (my place already has for the last 2 years), but I fully expect offices to be back by next year once social distancing ends.

£50 per week on heating?  What are you burning gold?  I currently pay £70 per month for gas, your valuation has me paying £200.

The point stands though, 8-9 hours more heating per day in a cold winter will seriously add up.
Balanced by savings on commuting and working awayf rom home (rail, petrol, DERV, eating out lunches and coffees etc)

For some yes, others no. It just depends on individual circumstances.
(08-03-2020, 01:54 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 10:31 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote: The heating costs is one of the main reasons a lot of workers will be keen to return to the office in winter IMO. They won't be so keen on home working when their home heating costs are going up 50 quid a week. Its also not a case of whether people "can" do their job, its the things you lose out on - learning faster from others, office culture, mental health through interaction. I can see most places allowing 1 or 2 days a week at home (my place already has for the last 2 years), but I fully expect offices to be back by next year once social distancing ends.

Well, unless you walk or cycle to work and take all your comestibles with you, the savings will balance some or all of the extra heating.
(08-03-2020, 01:32 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 01:30 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: Got asked if I’d go to Sweden in a few weeks today, considering we’re all still wfh I told them where to go!

A family member has actually moved to Gothenburg to work during lockdown after being shafted by JLR.

If I were to emigrate, Sweden would be high on my list. But when it's for a 2 day job in a country on the quarantine list I'll give it a miss.
In the form of his life.
Love WFH. An extra hour in bed each morning. No bell ends in the office to annoy you. Finish at 5 and done for the day. Not stood around waiting for public transport then sat next to someone screaming down the phone to their boyfriend
(08-03-2020, 02:06 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Love WFH. An extra hour in bed each morning. No bell ends in the office to annoy you. Finish at 5 and done for the day. Not stood around waiting for public transport then sat next to someone screaming down the phone to their boyfriend

very 1970s.
(08-03-2020, 01:57 PM)hudds Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 01:54 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:

Well, unless you walk or cycle to work and take all your comestibles with you, the savings will balance some or all of the extra heating.

Indeed, I walk to work.. plenty cycle especially in London. But yes it all comes down to individual circumstances.
(08-03-2020, 02:01 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 01:30 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: Got asked if I’d go to Sweden in a few weeks today, considering we’re all still wfh I told them where to go!

A family member has actually moved to Gothenburg to work during lockdown after being shafted by JLR.

If I were to emigrate, Sweden would be high on my list. But when it's for a 2 day job in a country on the quarantine list I'll give it a miss.

Norway better. Don't trust the Swedes at all. I was on the board of a Swedish industrial for a couple of stressful years so I know the place and the people pretty well.
(08-03-2020, 06:02 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 02:01 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote:

Norway better. Don't trust the Swedes at all. I was on the board of a Swedish industrial for a couple of stressful years so I know the place and the people pretty well.

I’d settle for Norway instead, or Denmark. Lovely part of the world I’d like to spend more time in.... preferably without the risk of Covid.
In the form of his life.