Another Yoof Departure
(01-12-2022, 10:12 AM)SophLad Wrote: Loving the double standards on here.  Whinging like fuck that we've had a player (that nobody had even heard of) "stolen" from us at 17 years old when we've only had them on our books for 18 months.  Where do you think we get him from, the local park?

Graham Dorrans, Chris Wood and almost certainly a few others - we were the 'robbing bastards'.

Pardon?

We bought Dorrans from St Mirren - willing buyer and willing seller.  We scouted Wood from a club in New Zealand.   They were under contract elsewhere.  Signing contracted players from other clubs is not issue whatsoever - they are either free agents under a Bosman or the selling club agrees a fee acceptable to them.

That is totally different to poaching teenagers who are too young to have been secured under a professional contract by exploiting that position and encouraging them not to sign a pro contract with us on their 17th birthday.  As I said earlier we cannot and will not ever stop poaching of such players but we need far more realistic compensation from those predator clubs.

(01-12-2022, 11:08 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: We're not privy to poaching down the ladder, Boruc was pinched from Stoke and Morton from Yeovil. Hell, Dara only joined at 16 as did Jak Delaney.

All I care about is building on the pathway to the first team that has seen O'Shea establish himself and Gardner-Hickman and Fellows break through, something we've failed out over the last 25 years.

Statutory compensation does need to be upped though, some academies have been enabled through it to become loan farms.

(01-12-2022, 11:06 AM)MrFizz Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 10:12 AM)SophLad Wrote: Loving the double standards on here.  Whinging like fuck that we've had a player (that nobody had even heard of) "stolen" from us at 17 years old when we've only had them on our books for 18 months.  Where do you think we get him from, the local park?

Graham Dorrans, Chris Wood and almost certainly a few others - we were the 'robbing bastards'.

Pretty sure we bought Dorrans (Partick?). But i get your point. Yoof will always move, it's the pitiful compo that really rankles.

Dorrans was from Livingston, and he had 100 senior appearances at that point.

We didn’t “pinch” Morton from Yeovil.  We bought him for an undisclosed fee.  Willing buyer, willing seller. Yeovil received a fee that they agreed to!
(01-12-2022, 12:14 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Pardon?

We bought Dorrans from St Mirren - willing buyer and willing seller.  We scouted Wood from a club in New Zealand.   They were under contract elsewhere.  Signing contracted players from other clubs is not issue whatsoever - they are either free agents under a Bosman or the selling club agrees a fee acceptable to them.

That is totally different to poaching teenagers who are too young to have been secured under a professional contract by exploiting that position and encouraging them not to sign a pro contract with us on their 17th birthday.  As I said earlier we cannot and will not ever stop poaching of such players but we need far more realistic compensation from those predator clubs.

Bang on. 

I had no issue when Rodgers left for City because City did the honourable thing and paid us proper compensation. No problem at all. (That was apparently down to Rodgers family wanting Albion properly reimbursed btw) 

Other clubs are flagrantly using this pre 17 year birthday contract bollocks to pinch players on the cheap. Whether its us doing it or other clubs doing it its wrong. It needs looking in to and fee's adjusting with inflation like everything else in the last 10 years.
(01-11-2022, 10:18 PM)Dumbo Wrote: I can’t pretend to be angry over someone I never knew existed until I opened this thread.

But you have to, if you don't then well the World will implode! Especially if he's from a nice family and will play for England.

Outrage AOTS it's the only way.

Like you never heard of him = little bother than he's gone to a bigger club.