Conspiracy Theory........
I don't think the players are robots. I do think that collectively they could and should have done their jobs better. That goes for management and above too.
Anyone remember the Paul McCartney isn't really him theory? Maybe our whole team are imposters? Could they have been abducted by aliens? Has a Yeti eaten them alive? Are they suffering from 5g waves? Did some twat distract them every game from a grassy knoll? Did the mafia get to them? Did a load of miserable moaning fans around them at games and on social media slowly chip away at their confidence?
I did wonder this at times. Especially after we built on a brilliant win against Fulham by a draw with Bristol City and then an awful result at Blues, and then not long after followed up a decent win versus Bournemouth by being humbled by the mighty Stoke City. It does make you question whether or not this lot actually had the stomach for the play-offs.

Although I suspect it’s more to do with the club culture that’s been allowed to set in. Playing for Albion has been easy street this season. That culture has to change before anything else does, or any incomings will simply go the same way.
(05-09-2022, 11:37 AM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: I did wonder this at times. Especially after we built on a brilliant win against Fulham by a draw with Bristol City and then an awful result at Blues, and then not long after followed up a decent win versus Bournemouth by being humbled by the mighty Stoke City. It does make you question whether or not this lot actually had the stomach for the play-offs.

Although I suspect it’s more to do with the club culture that’s been allowed to set in. Playing for Albion has been easy street this season. That culture has to change before anything else does, or any incomings will simply go the same way.

The simple explanation is they kept on choking whenever there was the slightest hope.
Could it be because the season is starting in late July because of the World cup in Quatar? Starting back to training on that date would only give them 4-5 weeks pre season .
(05-09-2022, 03:03 PM)Hermit Throstle Wrote: Could it be because the season is starting in late July because of the World cup in Quatar? Starting back to training on that date would only give them 4-5 weeks pre season .

No, they’re just bottlers.

They’re not capable of that level of intelligent thought.
(05-09-2022, 03:06 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(05-09-2022, 03:03 PM)Hermit Throstle Wrote: Could it be because the season is starting in late July because of the World cup in Quatar? Starting back to training on that date would only give them 4-5 weeks pre season .

No, they’re just bottlers.

They’re not capable of that level of intelligent thought.

This.
(05-09-2022, 07:10 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Tbh they’ve been on the beach for 18 months… another couple weeks isn’t going to mean much.

The one positive to us not getting up this year is that this bunch of wankers haven’t  lined their pockets!

Yeah,   and the club has lost c 100m!
HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:I did wonder this at times. Especially after we built on a brilliant win against Fulham by a draw with Bristol City and then an awful result at Blues, and then not long after followed up a decent win versus Bournemouth by being humbled by the mighty Stoke City. It does make you question whether or not this lot actually had the stomach for the play-offs.

This, in spades. I've watched football long enough to recognise when some are simply going through the motions. The slightest setback and this lot are beaten. You are right, it is the culture. I'd say there are only a few bad eggs, then some that are mentally frail and some that are just plain lazy. Not all, I add, but enough to spoil it for all. They like the life but aren't interested enough to push on. I have never been so disconnected from an Albion side. That said, the club managed to separate me from a large chunk of money again at the weekend!
The best way to rejuvenate any workplace and up moral is to bring in keen people who are willing to push themselves and others to do well.

We have a mixture of failed players, (relegated from prem) players in twilight of career (no desire of the pressure of prem football) and a few decent players fed up with examples given.

When you bring in confident players with a desire to play week in week out and a desire to play in the top flight it lifts the failed players, takes the pressure of twilight players (and gives them a kick up the backside) and lifts the decent ones and makes them think the club are going somewhere.