Nostalgia on a cold wet day

Questions & observations, as I wasn't really into footy when this match took place (I was 8 and didn't get taken to a game til I was 11)...:

Goal posts, when did they go on a protein diet and end up as fat as they are now? They were svelte little things back then!
Getting caught tippy tapping it around your own area is nothing new.
Commentators that say what is going on, rather than enforcing their own views and agendas, when did that all change?
I've only ever seen the shorter highlights version and that never made it look like it could have ended up 5-6... some good goal keeping on show, however I do wonder if the SJ detractors (and I'm still on the fence) would have slaughtered Godden back then for the Man U headed goal?

I wonder what this bored would've been like back in those days after that result? (I know the web wasn't around so don't bother pointing that out!)
(02-22-2020, 01:02 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

Questions & observations, as I wasn't really into footy when this match took place (I was 8 and didn't get taken to a game til I was 11)...:

Goal posts, when did they go on a protein diet and end up as fat as they are now? They were svelte little things back then!
Commentators that say what is going on, rather than enforcing their own views and agendas, when did that all change?
I've only ever seen the shorter highlights version and that never made it look like it could have ended up 5-6... some good goal keeping on show, however I do wonder if the SJ detractors (and I'm still on the fence) would have slaughtered Godden back then for the Man U headed goal?

I wonder what this bored would've been like back in those days after that result? (I know the web wasn't around so don't bother pointing that out!)

This was in the year I was born but never seen these longer highlights either,

That drop ball around the penalty spot was a thing of beauty.
(02-22-2020, 02:39 PM)TheAlbionWay Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 01:02 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

This was in the year I was born but never seen these longer highlights either,

That drop ball around the penalty spot was a thing of beauty.

It was, if it was nowadays they'd probably still be checking VAR for it!
Goal nets became more uniformed in the late 90s. At one point you could guess the ground by the goal net. Liked the big billowy nets of Maine Rd, Goodison Park and the crap ones were flat shallow nets at Upton Park and Loftus Rd. Our nets were the same as the Dings if I recall.
I always get a bit misty eyed when I watch these highlights more so now both Cyrille and Laurie have gone.
We think we're good to watch now but then it was pure poetry.

Laurie had the skills and pace to be up there with the absolute best. It was tragic how injuries curtailed his career. 
On today's pitches with the protection that the modern game affords his career would have been glorious.

As for Cyrille, BFR said he was a scorer of great goals but had yet to become a great goalscorer. 
Well Ron I'll remember Cyrille for what he was. A beast of a CF with power in both feet and with his head. 

It needed 2 or 3 to keep him quiet, meanwhile Willie, Bomber, Ally or Laurie would pop up unmarked.
And then Cyrille would get his goal as he did in the above highlights.

As for the rest of the team: After Hansen and Lawrenson we had the next best pair of CBs in the league.
Dekka was arguably the best LB but Samson was always preferred for England.

Cantello  was solid and could score screamers like he did at OT.

Robson was world class virtually ignored by England whilst with us but a shoe-in when he played for Utd.
He came back from a couple of broken legs to forge an incredible career.

It was an incredible few years until the team broke up and we went into decline but while it lasted, it was a privilege to pay the entrance fee.
the best shot of the day wasn't even a goal with Regis effort being saved. What a game!
(02-22-2020, 03:02 PM)Albionmad Wrote: I always get a bit misty eyed when I watch these highlights more so now both Cyrille and Laurie have gone.
We think we're good to watch now but then it was pure poetry.

Laurie had the skills and pace to be up there with the absolute best. It was tragic how injuries curtailed his career. 
On today's pitches with the protection that the modern game affords his career would have been glorious.

As for Cyrille, BFR said he was a scorer of great goals but had yet to become a great goalscorer. 
Well Ron I'll remember Cyrille for what he was. A beast of a CF with power in both feet and with his head. 

It needed 2 or 3 to keep him quiet, meanwhile Willie, Bomber, Ally or Laurie would pop up unmarked.
And then Cyrille would get his goal as he did in the above highlights.

As for the rest of the team: After Hansen and Lawrenson we had the next best pair of CBs in the league.
Dekka was arguably the best LB but Samson was always preferred for England.

Cantello  was solid and could score screamers like he did at OT.

Robson was world class virtually ignored by England whilst with us but a shoe-in when he played for Utd.
He came back from a couple of broken legs to forge an incredible career.

It was an incredible few years until the team broke up and we went into decline but while it lasted, it was a privilege to pay the entrance fee.

This encapsulate all my emotions from that period. We were the best team in the land. Not seen the likes of it since, but today, albeit at a lower level, we are just as joyous to watch. Thank you slaven for making The Hawthorns a place of pleasure again.
(02-22-2020, 02:48 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Goal nets became more uniformed in the late 90s. At one point you could guess the ground by the goal net. Liked the big billowy nets of Maine Rd, Goodison Park and the crap ones were flat shallow nets at Upton Park and Loftus Rd. Our nets were the same as the Dings if I recall.

Some goal posts were square, rather round as well.

Gordon McQueen fucked his knee on a square one, I recall.  (Think it was at Hampden in 1978, playing in the Home Internationals)
At the end of the match BFR was asked for his MOTM and said all great but would probably give it to one of the coloureds upfront or words to that effect.
(02-22-2020, 08:59 PM)Jezstatham Wrote: At the end of the match BFR was asked for his MOTM and said all great but would probably give it to one of the coloureds upfront or words to that effect.

"One of the coloured lads"

Daft as it seems now, calling black people coloured publicly was more acceptable than actually calling them black back in the 70's.