Cheating
An epidemic now which is spoiling football for the spectator. Recent fashionable ones are all to do with time wasting. Particularly hanging on to the ball when you have given away a foul or stopping a free kick being taken quickly. And how come it's now acceptable to start time wasting as soon as you take the lead in a game even if it's in the first ten minutes ! I nearly forgot, the ridiculous amount of time it takes to restart the game after a goal has been scored.
(01-02-2020, 02:44 PM)1971 Wrote: An epidemic now which is spoiling football for the spectator. Recent fashionable ones are all to do with time wasting. Particularly hanging on to the ball when you have given away a foul or stopping a free kick being taken quickly. And how come it's now acceptable to start time wasting as soon as you take the lead in a game even if it's in the first ten minutes ! I nearly forgot, the ridiculous amount of time it takes to restart the game after a goal has been scored.
New rules needed:

1) Official timer. Ball has to be in play for 60 mins. Hence, every game lasts the same amount of time. Clock stops everytime the ball goes out of play. Timer also stops when the ball is in the keepers hands. This works in NFL. See this... https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.c...63506/amp/

2) If you deliberately touch the ball after giving away a foul, an automatic yellow card.

3) If in the referees opinion a team deliberately shields the ball in the corner attempting to waste time a free kick is awarded at the centre spot.

4) A team of ball boys/girls must be in place at all games. The ball is not allowed to be dried with a towel or with a players shirt.

5) Keepers take all goal kicks from the corner of the 6 yard box depending on the side in which the ball goes out of play.

Pulis would be fucked but it would encourage positive play and no supporter would be short changed.
Why can't a ball be dried? If its hammering it down and through no fault of the player own causes a foul throw, not that many of them are picked up on these days, but there's a point.
Kanu's dive was a joke. Pereira had one too.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1212442832671301633

A couple of their players went down with minimal contact as well. Grealish got a freekick yesterday by diving into the air and the man without being touched. Again the clear and obvious should apply here.

Simply put retrospective action has to apply. Simple Diving Panel convenes. 1 match ban for first offence, 3 for 2 etc etc... fines blah blah... Doesn't matter what they penalties are as long as they're harsh enough to change behaviour.
(01-02-2020, 03:04 PM)Thanks Logic1 Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 02:44 PM)1971 Wrote: An epidemic now which is spoiling football for the spectator. Recent fashionable ones are all to do with time wasting. Particularly hanging on to the ball when you have given away a foul or stopping a free kick being taken quickly. And how come it's now acceptable to start time wasting as soon as you take the lead in a game even if it's in the first ten minutes ! I nearly forgot, the ridiculous amount of time it takes to restart the game after a goal has been scored.
New rules needed:

1) Official timer. Ball has to be in play for 60 mins. Hence, every game lasts the same amount of time. Clock stops everytime the ball goes out of play. Timer also stops when the ball is in the keepers hands. This works in NFL. See this... https://www.google.com/amp/s/talksport.c...63506/amp/

2) If you deliberately touch the ball after giving away a foul, an automatic yellow card.

3) If in the referees opinion a team deliberately shields the ball in the corner attempting to waste time a free kick is awarded at the centre spot.

4) A team of ball boys/girls must be in place at all games. The ball is not allowed to be dried with a towel or with a players shirt.

5) Keepers take all goal kicks from the corner of the 6 yard box depending on the side in which the ball goes out of play.

Pulis would be fucked but it would encourage positive play and no supporter would be short changed.

Some good ideas there

Even free kicks in dangerous areas can take a couple of minutes from foul to take  -  stealing from the fans really.

How many minutes is the ball actually in play.  60-70 minutes?
(01-02-2020, 04:10 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

Even free kicks in dangerous areas can take a couple of minutes from foul to take  -  stealing from the fans really.

I see it this way as well. I was at a lower league game a few weeks back and the time-wasting was ridiculous. The away side scored in the first 5 minutes and after that killed every second they could. Passing the ball to three different players before throw-ins, then trying to take it in the completely wrong position so they would be told to take it back, where they would then delay as long as they could before they took it; players going down 'injured', requiring the physio's to come on and 'treat' them for 2-3 minutes; GK's taking an age to take a goal-kick, trotting to retrieve the ball before slowly walking over to the side of the area where the ball hadn't gone out, 'ensuring' the ball was still about 3-4 times before moving to take it, spitting on the gloves before taking the run-up, and on and on. Every trick in the book and then some. The ref never even asked them to speed up let alone booked any of their players. An absolute joke.
The refs are the problem. It's the players nature to grab what they can. Did anyone see the ref tell the keeper to get a move on, early 1st half vs Boro? Keeper promptly took no notice whatsoever and actually got worse as the game went on. Got away completely.
First they get a warning, then a yellow. There wouldn't be any timewasting after that because they know they'll be off. IMO, all the rules are there, it's the inconsistent refereeing that is aiding and abetting this and most other gamesmanship. How the ref's assessor doesn't blow a fuse each game is beyond me. I do!
(01-02-2020, 04:38 PM)Ampadu\s Left Boot Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 04:10 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

I see it this way as well. I was at a lower league game a few weeks back and the time-wasting was ridiculous. The away side scored in the first 5 minutes and after that killed every second they could. Passing the ball to three different players before throw-ins, then trying to take it in the completely wrong position so they would be told to take it back, where they would then delay as long as they could before they took it; players going down 'injured', requiring the physio's to come on and 'treat' them for 2-3 minutes; GK's taking an age to take a goal-kick, trotting to retrieve the ball before slowly walking over to the side of the area where the ball hadn't gone out, 'ensuring' the ball was still about 3-4 times before moving to take it, spitting on the gloves before taking the run-up, and on and on. Every trick in the book and then some. The ref never even asked them to speed up let alone booked any of their players. An absolute joke.

Who is Pulis managing these days?

(01-02-2020, 04:46 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: The refs are the problem. It's the players nature to grab what they can. Did anyone see the ref tell the keeper to get a move on, early 1st half vs Boro? Keeper promptly took no notice whatsoever and actually got worse as the game went on. Got away completely.
First they get a warning, then a yellow. There wouldn't be any timewasting after that because they know they'll be off. IMO, all the rules are there, it's the inconsistent refereeing that is aiding and abetting this and most other gamesmanship. How the ref's assessor doesn't blow a fuse each game is beyond me. I do!

100% this.

The same with dissent and simulation. For whatever reason refs seem really reticent to punish players for it when a couple of weekends of madness would fix everything.

We go on about Grealish, but some of the diving on both sides last night was atrocious. 

As soon as a player was given his marching orders for simulation, or a goalie sent off with 10 mins to go for time wasting it would all stop. Imagine being 1-0 up with 10mins to go and losing your goalie for the final 10?