Shane Long
(12-01-2019, 11:20 AM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 12:34 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: You’ve got to love football fan logic. Long is a car chasing, non goal scoring forward, who has spent half his career in the Prem and should be criticised at every opportunity, Fortune is a hard working, non goal scoring forward, with a handful of Prem games, who should be lauded as a cult hero.

I think it’s the way they leave that often determines our view.  

Johnny Evans a great player, but he was an absolute arse for a season and couldn’t wait to get out the door.  He was a big contributor to our relegation.

Cuntis Davies - head wasn’t right to play for us.  Ffs. 

We all understand the draw of the PL and certain clubs, but don’t shit on us on the way out the door. If you do you won’t be remembered fondly.

From memory Lomg was agitating to get away and joined the mighty Hull.  Then he dived against us.

That Hull game swung it. Long dived then withdrew his appeal. The damage was done because that prick Foy was reffing.  Then Long scored the 2nd

Before the game, Long got a good reception
(12-01-2019, 11:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 10:38 AM)Mancbaggies Wrote: 2 goals in 3 starts tbf

I was disappointed with him here overall though.  Great effort and a team player.  Touch, aerial ability, and link play a big disappointment in the PL.

Hi aerial ability was second to none for his height.

Agreed. He often beat the centre backs to the ball when rocketed towards him. It almost became predictabe he would win them. Still not sure how he did it. Perhaps the fact he was our record transfer (I think) at the time has meant people just expected him to blitz the league. He has done far more than the likes of Danny Graham, Jordan Rhodes, McCormack of that time.
(12-01-2019, 12:34 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: You’ve got to love football fan logic. Long is a car chasing, non goal scoring forward, who has spent half his career in the Prem and should be criticised at every opportunity, Fortune is a hard working, non goal scoring forward, with a handful of Prem games, who should be lauded as a cult hero.

Johnny Evans a great player, but he was an absolute arse for a season and couldn’t wait to get out the door.  He was a big contributor to our relegation.

We all understand the draw of the PL and certain clubs, but don’t shit on us on the way out the door. If you do you won’t be remembered fondly.

From memory Lomg was agitating to get away and joined the mighty Hull.  Then he dived against us.

I agree but fans logic again comes into play again... player is respectful but not very good still slated, and ceremoniously kicked out / sold.  Player who achieves notable success but then angles for a move slated usually regardless of circumstances. Fans react like a jilted lover.  

He wanted a better contract we didn’t offer him one, despite playing a significant role in our success up until the wheels started to fall off Clarke’s tenure. He got blamed for awful tactics used by Clarke where we simply launched the ball at him at supersonic speed at his throat for half a season, add to this the awful challenge and subsequent injury caused by the Vile twat I’m not surprised his form dropped. 

All I remember on here and other sites and at the ground were people calling him a greedy bastard, we could do better and he was a cars chasing beep etc.  I don’t think he owed us anything and fans moaning about players diving will always make hypocrites of themselves when those playing for them do similar. 

In short I do agree circumstances do have a part to play in how they are remembered but some players are more equal than others from my experience.

As I recall Long was simply asking for salary parity with certain players who were contributing less than he was.
As someone who also follows Southampton a little, I have seen enough of Long to confirm he stinks now. He is basically just sitting on the bench taking a paycheck. When he does get on the pitch he runs a lot, but its aimless with no real purpose. Its almost like he doesn't want the ball.
(12-01-2019, 12:40 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

As I recall Long was simply asking for salary parity with certain players who were contributing less than he was.

From what remember CIM, he was after parity, but wasn't exactly doing it on the pitch himself.