Wtf is going on with our roads?!
Don't feel qualified to comment on this as I don't do much driving Wink
Hand on heart the roads in France IMO are maintained, better, faster then in the UK.
The services and specific lorry stop areas are miles in front of what the UK offers.
Aren't smart motorways "under review"?
(11-21-2019, 08:33 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 01:48 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Ossian there has to be major construction on the roads mainly due to tarmac etc with more hgvs etc and modernising the smart motorway network which personally are dangerous using all lanes running there is no where to go if you breakdown .....if you think the oldbury viaduct was bad you wait until jn10 is being done early next year when jn2/1 is finished ....major delays everywhere

Yep entirely agree smart motorways do fugg all to ease congestion I do m6 j9 to j4 each way every week day 6.30am out and either 4. 30pm or 6.oopm back and it's a fuggin nightmare the smallest incident causes complete chaos as the traffic in what used to be the hard shoulder moves over because its suddenly closed which in turn pushes the traffic over in a lane 1 then lane 2 etc and in no time at all 4 lanes of stationary or barely moving traffic just tonight 4.20 j5 to j6 took 20 fuggin mins then another 10 mins to j7 just for one broken down car. Who ever thought up this complete bollocks of an idea needs fuugin with a rag man's trumpet Angry

I have to disagree with the view that smart motorways are crap. We were always on the M42 in the days when our kids were in Dat London (travelling from the North West, not just the Midlands). The upgrade made a huge difference to journey times IMO. More recently, I've lived through the transformation of the M6 Jn 16 to Jn 19. That's now "All Lanes Running" smart motorway, not the M42 type with variable use of the shoulder. It's a revelation. Even today with an "earlier broken down vehicle" on the A556 and a horrendous pile up closing two lanes on the M6, I was home quicker by motorway than if I'd trundled down the old road past Jodrell Bank. It's easy to criticize modern developments and forget that there is much more traffic these days.
(11-20-2019, 10:24 PM)The liquidator Wrote: I go on there and wind them up it's like being on here

Well tomorrow is the day that the oldbury viaduct roadworks are due to finish. Can't wait to see the facebook meltdown when a new revised completion date is announced.
I'm going on early to back up the workers they go nuts at it its going to be lively.....I'm going to say that I've heard that it's about Feb /march and watch it go off .

(11-21-2019, 10:48 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 01:48 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Ossian there has to be major construction on the roads mainly due to tarmac etc with more hgvs etc and modernising the smart motorway network which personally are dangerous using all lanes running there is no where to go if you breakdown .....if you think the oldbury viaduct was bad you wait until jn10 is being done early next year when jn2/1 is finished ....major delays everywhere

Yep entirely agree smart motorways do fugg all to ease congestion I do m6 j9 to j4 each way every week day 6.30am out and either 4. 30pm or 6.oopm back and it's a fuggin nightmare the smallest incident causes complete chaos as the traffic in what used to be the hard shoulder moves over because its suddenly closed which in turn pushes the traffic over in a lane 1 then lane 2 etc and in no time at all 4 lanes of stationary or barely moving traffic just tonight 4.20 j5 to j6 took 20 fuggin mins then another 10 mins to j7 just for one broken down car. Who ever thought up this complete bollocks of an idea needs fuugin with a rag man's trumpet Angry

I have to disagree with the view that smart motorways are crap. We were always on the M42 in the days when our kids were in Dat London (travelling from the North West, not just the Midlands). The upgrade made a huge difference to journey times IMO. More recently, I've lived through the transformation of the M6 Jn 16 to Jn 19. That's now "All Lanes Running" smart motorway, not the M42 type with variable use of the shoulder. It's a revelation. Even today with an "earlier broken down vehicle" on the A556 and a horrendous pile up closing two lanes on the M6, I was home quicker by motorway than if I'd trundled down the old road past Jodrell Bank. It's easy to criticize modern developments and forget that there is much more traffic these days.

As a worker on there iits a lot more dangerous .
(11-21-2019, 11:47 PM)The liquidator Wrote: I'm going on early to back up the workers they go nuts at it its going to be lively.....I'm going to say that I've heard that it's about Feb  /march and watch it go off .

(11-21-2019, 10:48 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

As a worker on there iits a lot more dangerous .

Thanks Liquidator.

Firstly I don't have a Facebook account, so no comments on there are down to me.

The work being done is an amazing engineering feat, and it is nearly done. All I sense though is frustration of missed deadlines. Over promised springs to mind. Perhaps a 5 year project delivered in 3 years would have sat better?

Still an amazing engineering feat. Well done to all who have worked on her. Hopefully this is the last major works on it for a generation.
Originally they thought there was going g to be 400 faults on it they opened up the one side and on the southbound itself there was 5000 +
(11-22-2019, 06:42 AM)The liquidator Wrote: Originally they thought there was going g to be 400 faults on it they opened up the one side and on the southbound itself there was 5000 +

I know. It's been a very big job, for sure