Sawyers....
(11-04-2019, 10:56 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 10:50 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:59 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: MOTM.... not sure I agree with that.

Thought he made some very ropey decisions that we got away with... sometimes passed a bit too much in his own area.

Thought Grady and Ajayi were outstanding.

Sawyers was excellent in the last 30 mins. Less so in the first 60. Ajayi or Bartley the best 2 for me. Phillip's did well too.

I think this is it.

I don’t disagree that Sawyers had a very good game, and some of his passing was sensational, but today there were occasions I felt he made the wrong choice, and times he needlessly played us into trouble. We gave them a lot of space in the middle again, and a better side would have found more troublesome passes.

He was still a class act, but thought Ajayi, Bartley and Phillips were all a cut above.

Correct.
(11-04-2019, 10:02 PM)Sliced Wrote: Bartley for me. Absolutely brilliant

Also special note for Krovinovic who controlled the game when he came on

+1 Bartley was immense especially first half when we seemed to take our foot off the gas after our first goal.
Also agree in regards to Krovinovic,he gave us more of an assured look to our midfield.
Weird one Re. Krov. But think he’d be more suited to PL football.
I love Sawyers but I thought he was poor in first half. Uncharacteristically gave the ball away several times. Much better second half. No coincidence the team also looked better after half time. Hard to call MotM tonight.
Bartley, Semi and Livermore the absolute stand outs. Sawyers and then Phillips just behind.
Big Semi just edged it for me ahead of Sawyers and Bartley.

Thought he was back to his best today. Brilliant signing.

Special mention for Jake too. Often overlooked another very good game.
Sawyers is a wonderful player. Great touch and vision and offers an outlet to the defence. There were times when he overplayed and think he needs to improve the defensive side of his game but he, Diangana and Peteira are a joy to watch. A few made the point about moving the ball a little quicker and that is more obvious against a team that apply a press. I’m not going to complain about an away win but it could have been a big score last night.
I think the one thing stoke did well last night was turning the ball over in midfield and made it hard for Pereira, Sawyers etc which makes Sawyers performance all the more impressive for me.
In the form of his life.
He is quite an unusual player, he rarely runs with the ball, he is never really interested in getting in the box or have a shot, however he has great control, composed, always looks to be progressive with wide range of passing, releases the ball quickly and is always available.

A massive pet hate of mine is attacking passes going directly to feet, or even worse behind the player. Sawyers is brilliant at weighting, an often simple, pass perfectly onto an on rushing team mate. Such a simple little addition makes a big difference to the forward momentum of the team. Not the most exciting player, but huge for us.
Sawyers was excellent yesterday, but I think he benefited from the extra attention Stoke seemed to give to stopping Pereira. We're so difficult for teams to play against, try to stop one from playing and another is given extra space to dictate play.