IPTV
(09-19-2019, 04:41 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 04:17 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 04:08 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 12:34 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If everyone just nicked content for film and sport the whole economy of those industries would collapse. At some point most of us will have done it but it’s pretty much theft and morally questionable.

I don't think everybody would stop playing football...

or maybe they could reduce prices like music providers did. Record business and 'stars' were worse off, but they reconciled they'd only be ridiculously wealthy from now on as opposed to godlike wealthy.

The music industry adapted and found a way to monetise streaming and downloaded through Spotify and the likes. Similarly the film and tv industry has made similar moves into digital distribution and subscription formats which has made a dent in piracy. It’s much harder to do this with football as it is a live event and much harder to find an alternative to the existing models.

Technically, they could already stream every match. They already record and stream most of them. After all, they resell them to foreign broadcasters and subscription services. In addition, boxing has live on-demand events which are very profitable. 

The problem is, in fact, easier than the industry shocks music and film suffered. This time the technology is already there and the market is proven. But do sky, fa, the football league and the govt. want to do it? It would be a radical change, involve more work and probably lead to less money.

Music and film waited until panic set in and they felt they had no choice. I would say the FA and sky are nowhere near that yet. But they will be...

As sw4 alludes to, the demand is there in the UK, but there is no legal alternative to meet the demand in this country. It actually encourages piracy. It's a bizarre approach.

I think sacking off the 3pm Saturday blackout and introducing a pay as you watch, say a fiver a game, or a subscription by club model could be the answer.

Problem, as you say, lies with the likelihood that the likes of Sky and the PL wouldn’t go for it. The big clubs would as they would most likely increase their TV revenues, but the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth would massively lose out.
(09-19-2019, 04:50 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Just going to point out our gates would take a big hit in attendance if every match was on the tv legally. As would the ‘product’ Sky etc pay billions for. At the end of the day its no better than shoplifting.

That might not be the case. More people go to gigs than ever before now, despite music being cheaper. People pay for the 'experience', maybe they would for football?

Don't forget the revenue they would receive from the legal streams, perhaps they could offer the 'real life' experience cheaper? It may even increase our fanbase if watching live matches was possible and cheaper. Maybe, I'd see less Man U tops around Birmingham...

If, at the end of the day, it's no better than shoplifting, why don't 5 million people go shoplifting? It's a sad opinion you have on humanity if you think they would, they have no morals and the only thing that stops them is that they're too scared.

I suspect many think it's a victimless crime because they don't see sky and the premiership as victims in our society.

Out of curiosity Derek, what's your view on this? I live mostly abroad, that means I can get most matches legally. However, when I come to the UK I can still get the matches and service I paid for as long as I use a vpn, because I shouldn't access them in this country. Is that as bad as shoplifting?
Live broadcasts hasn't affected the gates of games in Germany

The Premier League FA etc have made billions from the product

Why would they want to change something if it meant their profits being reduced?

Its the same with PPV Boxing
Sky charge around £15 per match
Move your dish & you can usually find the same match for free broadcast across Europe albeit with a non English commentary
(09-19-2019, 05:00 PM)Duffers Wrote: I think sacking off the 3pm Saturday blackout and introducing a pay as you watch, say a fiver a game, or a subscription by club model could be the answer.

Problem, as you say, lies with the likelihood that the likes of Sky and the PL wouldn’t go for it. The big clubs would as they would most likely increase their TV revenues, but the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth would massively lose out.

At the moment, as you know, there's collective bargaining. There's nothing stopping the FA operating the service and distributing the revenue as they see fit. They don't have to distribute in proportion to the number of viewers per club. They could even make it a subscription to ALL premiership games like Spotify. They've resisted so far, even though they know through sky who's responsible for most viewers on television. Admittedly, it would get harder,
(09-19-2019, 05:09 PM)Pipkins Wrote: Live broadcasts hasn't affected the gates of games in Germany

The Premier League FA etc have made billions from the product

Why would they want to change something if it meant their profits being reduced?

Its the same with PPV Boxing
Sky charge around £15 per match
Move your dish & you can usually find the same match for free broadcast across Europe albeit with a non English commentary

Fans in Germany aren’t taken for complete cunts, though.
(09-19-2019, 04:50 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Just going to point out our gates would take a big hit in attendance if every match was on the tv legally. As would the ‘product’ Sky etc pay billions for. At the end of the day its no better than shoplifting.

In one post that sums you up

Worth noting that seven out of our first ten league games this season were/are televised. From what I can see there hasn’t been a dramatic effect on attendances so far.

VERY bad Baggies fans
To be fair the Now TV Sky Sports offer was £199 for the whole season, 2 accounts can watch at the same time and 6 devices registered. Shared with the old man £100 each for hassle free live footy is perfect.
(09-19-2019, 07:44 PM)boingingjim Wrote: To be fair the Now TV Sky Sports offer was £199 for the whole season, 2 accounts can watch at the same time and 6 devices registered. Shared with the old man £100 each for hassle free live footy is perfect.

I do something similar with my old man. I pay half towards his subscription and get Sky through my PS4.