Who were the five candidates we interviewed for the Head Coach role?
(09-04-2019, 10:00 AM)WWHO Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 09:47 AM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 08:59 AM)Atomic Wrote: Am I the only person that doesn't believe we were turned down by Alex Neil? I know that's the common belief but something just never seemed right about the Neil saga to me.

We wanted him. He turned us down. I think it was a blessing IMO

So you're saying (with authority) that we offered Neil a contract and he turned us down?

TBF, he's not normally one to just make things up.  Rolleyes
I've never claimed to be ITK before on here, but due to a couple of links in the summer, I do know a little more about this.

Jokanovic and Wagner were the two first choices, and were championed by Dowling. Wagner however declined to be interviewed and Jokanovic asked for too much money on day one.

Jenkins - predictably had concerns following the wage/budget demands from the former and instead was very positive about Neil - especially given his record at PNE given their constraints, and although Dowling wasn't overly keen, he became our top target, and was keen to join, however we never made him an offer.

A couple of things happened during the time when Neil was identifed and held talks, and the ultimate decision not to appoint him. Jenkins received tentative confirmation of budgets should we be promoted/not promoted, which meant we effectively aim a little higher than Neil and Shan won 2 games on the spin and our promotion hopes were reignited. There was some discussion about whether Neil's immediate impact at Norwich could be replicated with us, but overall there were concerns about Neil's ability to lead us in the PL, and faith was placed in Shan for a little longer.

Neil wanted to join before the PNE game, and tried to force our hand by threatening to cut off talks, we called his bluff, and he ended up signing a new deal with PNE and playing the propaganda game.

He was never officially offered the job, though had Shan lost against Blues/Brentford he may well have been.

In the summer with budgets a little clearer we initially spoke to Swansea about Potter, but Ashworth had already made tentative contact, as we decided that we had a 2 and 3 year remits for promotion, and continued self-sustaining model. Jokanovic was asked again, but his demands were still too high, though lower than last season, hence holding talks with Boro, we spoke with Labadia, the Cowleys and Bilic.

Only Bilic was offered the job, though the Cowleys gave us a lot of food for thought.
(09-04-2019, 10:31 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: I've never claimed to be ITK before on here, but due to a couple of links in the summer, I do know a little more about this.

Jokanovic and Wagner were the two first choices, and were championed by Dowling. Wagner however declined to be interviewed and Jokanovic asked for too much money on day one.

Jenkins - predictably had concerns following the wage/budget demands from the former and instead was very positive about Neil - especially given his record at PNE given their constraints, and although Dowling wasn't overly keen,  he became our top target, and was keen to join, however we never made him an offer.

A couple of things happened during the time when Neil was identifed and held talks, and the ultimate decision not to appoint him.  Jenkins received tentative confirmation of budgets should we be promoted/not promoted, which meant we effectively aim a little higher than Neil and Shan won 2 games on the spin and our promotion hopes were reignited. There was some discussion about whether Neil's immediate impact at Norwich could be replicated with us, but overall there were concerns about Neil's ability to lead us in the PL, and faith was placed in Shan for a little longer.

Neil wanted to join before the PNE game, and tried to force our hand by threatening to cut off talks, we called his bluff, and he ended up signing a new deal with PNE and playing the propaganda game.

He was never officially offered the job, though had Shan lost against Blues/Brentford he may well have been.

In the summer with budgets a little clearer we initially spoke to Swansea about Potter, but Ashworth had already made tentative contact, as we decided that we had a 2 and 3 year remits for promotion, and continued self-sustaining model. Jokanovic was asked again, but his demands were still too high, though lower than last season, hence holding talks with Boro, we spoke with Labadia, the Cowleys and Bilic.

Only Bilic was offered the job, though the Cowleys gave us a lot of food for thought.

We also met with Hughton the day before the play off second leg.
(09-04-2019, 10:49 AM)Statto Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 10:31 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: I've never claimed to be ITK before on here, but due to a couple of links in the summer, I do know a little more about this.

Jenkins - predictably had concerns following the wage/budget demands from the former and instead was very positive about Neil - especially given his record at PNE given their constraints, and although Dowling wasn't overly keen,  he became our top target, and was keen to join, however we never made him an offer.

A couple of things happened during the time when Neil was identifed and held talks, and the ultimate decision not to appoint him.  Jenkins received tentative confirmation of budgets should we be promoted/not promoted, which meant we effectively aim a little higher than Neil and Shan won 2 games on the spin and our promotion hopes were reignited. There was some discussion about whether Neil's immediate impact at Norwich could be replicated with us, but overall there were concerns about Neil's ability to lead us in the PL, and faith was placed in Shan for a little longer.

Completely forgot Hughton, didn't know when we saw him, but know he said no as he wasn't sure if he wanted time out of the game, or a PL return.

Thanks for that. Very interesting and certainly makes sense.
I think we got really lucky with Bilic. It’s the first time in a while I’ve seen a fan base united behind a manager/head coach. Even though darren was a cult hero I always felt we were one bad result from divisions amongst supporters. Bilic talks us up rather than talking us down. He’s moving to the Midlands I believe also which highlights his commitment to Albion

Interesting. Certainly makes sense about Neil, he did make a lott of noise about it. 
 For us lot not in the game, it's a bit of a lottery, choosing a manager. Many you think will be great, aren't. Many start well but can't turn around a losing spell. Some, for whatever reasons, have streaks-both winning and losing runs. Some are simply not suited to a particular club and yet are to another. I have to say, I'm very impressed so far with Big Slav. Long may he reign.
(09-04-2019, 11:15 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Completely forgot Hughton, didn't know when we saw him, but know he said no as he wasn't sure if he wanted time out of the game, or a PL return.

Thank you. That is very insightful and interesting.

Re: Neil, I don't think being tonked by the caretaker manager will have helped his cause.

Interesting that Potter was under consideration and the Cowleys were so close.

The Cowleys would have split the fanbase. Some would have loved us getting the next big thing, while others would say we've employed a pair of smalltime ex-PE teachers.

Whereas, thus far Bilić seems to be saying and doing all the right things.
(09-04-2019, 09:28 PM)Squid Wrote:

Re: Neil, I don't think being tonked by the caretaker manager will have helped his cause.

The Cowleys would have split the fanbase. Some would have loved us getting the next big thing, while others would say we've employed a pair of smalltime ex-PE teachers.

Potter was on the shortlist last summer, but the job was always going to Moore, and his credentials were only increased by his performance at Swansea last year... also hails from Solihull, and still has family ties in the region.

From what I heard about the Cowleys they split opinion in boardrooms too. They’re very confident young men, but maybe need to remember they were both PE teachers a few years ago and that even though their success at Braintree and Lincoln is impressive, a club of this size is a slightly different proposition. 

When they do get the inevitable chance at a bigger club, I expect it’ll be one without a DoF, and without overseas scouting or a reliance on academy integration. Think Pulis without a cap.
(09-04-2019, 09:47 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 09:28 PM)Squid Wrote:

Potter was on the shortlist last summer, but the job was always going to Moore, and his credentials were only increased by his performance at Swansea last year... also hails from Solihull, and still has family ties in the region.

From what I heard about the Cowleys they split opinion in boardrooms too. They’re very confident young men, but maybe need to remember they were both PE teachers a few years ago and that even though their success at Braintree and Lincoln is impressive, a club of this size is a slightly different proposition. 

When they do get the inevitable chance at a bigger club, I expect it’ll be one without a DoF, and without overseas scouting or a reliance on academy integration. Think Pulis without a cap.

Interesting. All told, I can see why Bilić was an outstanding candidate.

Meanwhile, I hope Jimmy Shan gets a job soon. I thought he was very impressive during his time with us. In the right set-up, he could do very well indeed.