BBC website favouring Women's Football?
(06-13-2019, 12:01 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: DH, I take your point. All I'm saying is there seems to be a concerted effort to over-hype the quality. 

As an aside, I don't think the standard is poor because they are women. The players just aren't very good - regardless of gender. Personally, I think you are overplaying the physical aspect of the game. I believe it's more likely because, as you said, it's a 'new sport'. There isn't the breadth of talent yet. That's why usa won 13-0. The game doesn't attract the most talented potential and the tactics aren't suited to the players.

Yes, show the game, but let me enjoy it with a bit more of an honest commentary and less of an agenda. That doesn't have to mean being spiteful, or endlessly comparing it to the men's game - just truthful. That way I can enjoy the passion and get swept away in the game without feeling I'm being indoctrinated.

Perhaps more importantly, when men say the quality isn't there or they're not interested, they shouldn't be immediately dismissed as sexist**. I find that group mentality intolerant and disheartening. 

If they want women's football to be a top attraction - and I believe it should be - they need men on their side. They shouldn't pander to them, but equally, they shouldn't alienate them. 

* Yes, I know women's football is not actually 'new'. Pre-war, women's football in the north of England attracted crowds of over 60000. I also know that that the 'men's' FA banned women from playing on their clubs parks and effectively killed it as a spectator sport.

**(Unless they are fans from London, who used to support ManU and now support Liverpool, because 'their' team is the best. Even then, there's no actual evidence they're sexist. However, they should still be treated with contempt.)

I appreciate that the skill is also a level down but the same can be said of Tennis but I can find enjoyment in both games. I agree if the women’s game wants equality commentators need to not soft peddle around poor play like it does.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BBC website favouring Women's Football? - by Derek Hardballs - 06-13-2019, 01:01 PM