Berahino sacked!
(05-26-2019, 04:09 PM)Albion Wrote: More worrying is his salary from Stoke was/is his only income. Surely with the monies he has earnt he would have invested into real estate, bonds, stocks etc

Yeah I'm worried sick about a footballer earning obscene amounts of money whilst viewing the world and everyone in it with contempt. I hope he ends up with nothing, maybe then he would appreciate what he had.
(05-26-2019, 05:17 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:09 PM)Albion Wrote: More worrying is his salary from Stoke was/is his only income. Surely with the monies he has earnt he would have invested into real estate, bonds, stocks etc

Yeah I'm worried sick about a footballer earning obscene amounts of money whilst viewing the world and everyone in it with contempt. I hope he ends up with nothing, maybe then he would appreciate what he had.

+1

I'm devastated for the poor Lamb, normally such a nice, genuine human being is Saido.    Rolleyes
(05-26-2019, 04:42 PM)Albion Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:31 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:20 PM)Albion Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:12 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

He's never been well advised and is basically thick as a very thick thing which is extra thick.

Financial advisors surely? If he’s bringing in £200,000 a month surely a smart person looks to invest as much as 70% per calendar month?

You must be joking.  These are footballers you are talking about.   40% are bankrupt before the age of 45. 

He loses more than 50% of his income in tax/NI, and with three kids from three mothers his child maintenance bill will be substantial.  Add his lifestyle costs in and he’ll not be saving anything at all.

Hi Prag. Any decent accountant wouldn’t be allowing him to lose 50% in Income Tax.

I said “tax/NI”, not just “tax”.  It will be close to 50% overall.

Since HMRC’s clampdowns on image rights and employee benefit trusts it is extremely difficult for tax advisors to reduce the amount of tax payable by footballers on their earnings.
(05-26-2019, 05:36 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:42 PM)Albion Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:31 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:20 PM)Albion Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 04:12 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: He's never been well advised and is basically thick as a very thick thing which is extra thick.

Financial advisors surely? If he’s bringing in £200,000 a month surely a smart person looks to invest as much as 70% per calendar month?

You must be joking.  These are footballers you are talking about.   40% are bankrupt before the age of 45. 

He loses more than 50% of his income in tax/NI, and with three kids from three mothers his child maintenance bill will be substantial.  Add his lifestyle costs in and he’ll not be saving anything at all.

Hi Prag. Any decent accountant wouldn’t be allowing him to lose 50% in Income Tax.

I said “tax/NI”, not just “tax”.  It will be close to 50% overall.

Since HMRC’s clampdowns on image rights and employee benefit trusts it is extremely difficult for tax advisors to reduce the amount of tax payable by footballers on their earnings.

You are talking to an idiot, Prag.  Rangers case and disguised remuneration - the Supreme Court decision establishes that employment income paid from an employer to a third party is still taxable as employment income.
Mis read the fred title.. Thought it said Berahino SMACKED... Damn!
(05-26-2019, 05:26 PM)Psalm23 Wrote:

+1

I'm devastated for the poor Lamb, normally such a nice, genuine human being is Saido.    Rolleyes

I guess no one has sympathy for him, but it is worrying that clubs don't do more to protect their multi million pound assets with better advice. I know some will scream that it's not the club's responsibility, but what other business would invest £15m in a brand new machine and then not pay attention to every aspect of its upkeep and maintenance?
(05-27-2019, 01:28 AM)Statto Wrote:

+1

I guess no one has sympathy for him, but it is worrying that clubs don't do more to protect their multi million pound assets with better advice. I know some will scream that it's not the club's responsibility, but what other business would invest £15m in a brand new machine and then not pay attention to every aspect of its upkeep and maintenance?

Said club bought said machine knowing the machine had more than a few faults. Said club took an expensive gamble that they could get said machine back to its former self.

Said club have now realised that said machine is beyond repair and have now found a way to recoup some major losses and have made the decision to cut and run.

The machine is wired wrong......always has been.....end of.
(05-27-2019, 01:38 AM)Peachy Wrote:

+1

Said club bought said machine knowing the machine had more than a few faults. Said club took an expensive gamble that they could get said machine back to its former self.

Said club have now realised that said machine is beyond repair and have now found a way to recoup some major losses and have made the decision to cut and run.

The machine is wired wrong......always has been.....end of.

A good maintenance team may have found and corrected the wiring fault though.

The general point is that clubs leave players to their devices on many things and then wonder why they go off the rails. I accept that getting through to Berahino is difficult though.

+1

Nice analogy - but you’d be surprised how many companies invest in new equipment don’t invest/implement effective maintenance practices.

+1

It’s my understanding that academies do have psychologists for mental health sessions and do give regular lessons in such things as finance management, media training, social engagement and regularly on drug awareness. Clubs also have rules about how players can conduct themselves in their free time. (As we’ve seen, Stoke have a policy of no ‘going out’ two days before a match. Berahino chose to be a hundred miles or so away and on the lash hours before a game) If a youth team player or full professional chooses to ignore those lessons and advice, I don’t think the club can be held too much to blame.