First time in a long time it feels like a new era
We tried to go back up on the cheap. hoping our ex Premiership squad were capable of achieving it with minor inputs and loan deals. It failed to come off, but only just. We are not a shit or bust Club and it was probably the right approach and it nearly worked. But we are where we are and face a whole new set of challenges now.

Now we have to perform a massive task, rebuilding and consolidating. It will take some really clever moves by a really clever Managerial team to get anything out of next season as far as I see it. I think that a top six spot is the very best we can hope for given the potential size of the task ahead and we should be patient. We are well run, with fine talent coming through from an outstanding academy. To be honest another season playing as we did, scoring goals as we did would not be so bad would it?
(05-20-2019, 10:08 PM)LIMABAGGIE Wrote: We tried to go back up on the cheap. hoping our ex Premiership squad were capable of achieving it with minor inputs and loan deals. It failed to come off, but only just. We are not a shit or bust Club and it was probably the right approach and it nearly worked. But we are where we are and face a whole new set of challenges now.

Now we have to perform a massive task, rebuilding and consolidating. It will take some really clever moves by a really clever Managerial team to get anything out of next season as far as I see it. I think that a top six spot is the very best we can hope for given the potential size of the task ahead and we should be patient. We are well run, with fine talent coming through from an outstanding academy. To be honest another season playing as we did, scoring goals as we did would not be so bad would it?
Good point. I'm just a little underwhelmed by the candidates that have been rumoured and the unnecessary comment by Dowling. The proof of the pudding etc. Let's see what they (Lai and his management), are made of this summer.
(05-21-2019, 07:01 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 10:08 PM)LIMABAGGIE Wrote: We tried to go back up on the cheap. hoping our ex Premiership squad were capable of achieving it with minor inputs and loan deals. It failed to come off, but only just. We are not a shit or bust Club and it was probably the right approach and it nearly worked. But we are where we are and face a whole new set of challenges now.

Good point. I'm just a little underwhelmed by the candidates that have been rumoured and the unnecessary comment by Dowling. The proof of the pudding etc. Let's see what they (Lai and his management), are made of this summer.

Dowling is just - under instruction from Jenkins - laying down an early marker to dampen expectation. 

At least we know where we stand on Gayle and there won't be 2 months of pointless speculation.
It just seems we have a Board that lacks a clear strategy and is unsure what to do next. For me CH would seem the obvious choice for the job given his record. However I expect another cost driven underwhelming appointment. I hope not.
We are in a difficult spot though, the future is very uncertain.
(05-21-2019, 11:36 AM)LIMABAGGIE Wrote: It just seems we have a Board that lacks a clear strategy and is unsure what to do next. For me CH would seem the obvious choice for the job given his record. However I expect another cost driven underwhelming appointment. I hope not.
We are in a difficult spot though, the future is very uncertain.

CH wants a PL job, apparently. He's slid down the odds too. Michael O'Neill currently topping them.