The ND re-build international request
(04-16-2019, 06:07 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 05:03 PM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 04:36 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 01:51 PM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 01:41 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: Well said.
It's one of the great monuments to man's good side. Money spent on beauty, on a sense of something bigger and better than all of us, over many many generations.
I was devastated when I saw this, and am delighted that people are contributing to a rebuild.
If you don't appreciate it, up to you. IMO that's your loss.

Great monuments to man's good side....the Huguenots of Paris in 1572 would maybe disagree!
Hardly the fault of a building! Put that down to Man too. We're a funny lot...
I guess if we follow that line of thinking, we should blow up the Bloody Tower...
I'm also very impressed by the solidarity shown by other cultures and governments, including our own. The bells of (protestant) Westminster Abbey will ring out tonight.

Again...you said the building is a "monument to man's good side" not me, so a building can by interpretation be a monument to man's evil......I merely stated that a group of people in the 1500's wouldn't have seen it as a monument of good....the same as Guy Fawkes and his mates wouldn't have perceived the Tower of London as great during 1605.

Has anyone ever accused you of splitting hairs?
But I'll agree with you that of course buildings can be used for good or evil.
It's a wonderful building. A testament to beauty, eternity, and exactly what West Bromwich, for instance, lacks!

The demolition of the Rudge Litley Foundry on Phoenix Street was architectural vandalism!
(04-16-2019, 07:55 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 07:45 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote: One thing you can bet on is that the wealthiest organisation in the world won’t be paying for it.

Can't see the US paying for it. Anyway, I hope everyone does help. It transcends Leave style bigotry.

I presume, CWB, you were referring to my rant at Macron. This was nothing to do with Brexit and all to do with Macron's international appeal. My first beef was that there have been recent  humanitarian crises, Mozambique and Sudan very recently. These are surely more worthwhile causes.
And second. York Minster and the Cutty Sark were paid for by insurers. Maybe Mr. Macron, as a banker, needs to start reading the small print. 
The International appeal stuck in my gullet when I heard it first AM. 
It's a wonderful building and everyone should feel free to dob in if they wish. But an international appeal?
(04-16-2019, 04:09 PM)Sunshine Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 03:27 PM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote: I was referring to the Catholic Church, who’s building it is.

France is a secular state so the cathedral does not belong to the church.
The wording of your point is a little skewed, to me. Don’t you think it is a little at odds for a secular state to own religious buildings.
However, you are correct. Since a 1905 law, some seventy Parisian churches are owned by the French state. You are also right in your assertion that Notre Dame is the responsibility of the state but it is used solely for the benefit of the Catholic Sacraments.
There was already a public campaign ongoing to pay for the restoration which was underway.
My point is still valid, I believe, in that the Catholic Church, which has the highest value of assets in the world, should bung in a goodly proportion of the costs. It may, of coarse, do so.
A historical religious building burns down and in the subsequent conversation fucking "Brexit" is still mentioned. Amazing.

If I never hear that cunting word again it will be too soon.
(04-17-2019, 09:00 AM)The Real PK Wrote: A historical religious building burns down and in the subsequent conversation fucking "Brexit" is still mentioned. Amazing.

If I never hear that cunting word again it will be too soon.

Brexit, Brexit, Brexit
Flag shagging,misogynistic,covidiot,anitvax gammon.
Or just a normal white bloke.
(04-16-2019, 07:55 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 07:45 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote: One thing you can bet on is that the wealthiest organisation in the world won’t be paying for it.

Can't see the US paying for it. Anyway, I hope everyone does help. It transcends Leave style bigotry.

Yeah, I hear the Catholic church are a bit strapped lately...