Your favourite Indian restaurant in the West Mids
(03-31-2024, 02:19 AM)pindgill Wrote: The nearest to home cooked authentic Punjabi Indian food is The Rajdoot in Birmingham.

Used to be a Nepalese chef.Dont know if that's still the case
(03-31-2024, 11:28 AM)pindgill Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 09:41 AM)TR 675 Wrote: I suppose it depends on the definition of an "Indian" restaurant. Taking Indian cooking to another level my favourite must be Opheem but with two Michellin stars it's invariably going to pricey and only for one off special occasions.
Quite like Dishoom as its a bit different from the slop houses, even though it's a chain as it's one of the few that sell Gujurati samosas and their biryani seems to be more Parsi inspired.

How you can box Indian cuisine into a “Michelin’ format in inconceivable to me Indian food is at its best with a number of dishes and you mix and match to your taste!!..

They do it really really well, multiple courses which follow. The downside is that there is little choice, and if there is something on the menu that you really don't like it can be very marmite. Also, the service isnt great for £200+ per head.

I much prefer Itihaas, better service, much cheaper and more choice but with a similarly premium setting. 

TR mentioned veg samosas, the best Ive ever tasted are from the jyoti sweet centre stratford road hall green. I always call in for a takeaway when Im in that area.
£200 QUID A HEAD LOL
Tony pulis is a wanker 
Opheem is brilliant, one of the best meals I've ever eaten anywhere.

Seems a bit unfair to lump it into the discussion around 'best curry you've had' mind.

(04-02-2024, 01:03 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: £200 QUID A HEAD LOL

Should try it mate, costs as much as those fancy polo shirts you wear  Wink
(04-02-2024, 01:01 PM)sickParrot Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 09:41 AM)TR 675 Wrote: I suppose it depends on the definition of an "Indian" restaurant. Taking Indian cooking to another level my favourite must be Opheem but with two Michellin stars it's invariably going to pricey and only for one off special occasions.
Quite like Dishoom as its a bit different from the slop houses, even though it's a chain as it's one of the few that sell Gujurati samosas and their biryani seems to be more Parsi inspired.

How you can box Indian cuisine into a “Michelin’ format in inconceivable to me Indian food is at its best with a number of dishes and you mix and match to your taste!!..

They do it really really well, multiple courses which follow. The downside is that there is little choice, and if there is something on the menu that you really don't like it can be very marmite. Also, the service isnt great for £200+ per head.

I much prefer Itihaas, better service, much cheaper and more choice but with a similarly premium setting. 

TR mentioned veg samosas, the best Ive ever tasted are from the jyoti sweet centre stratford road hall green. I always call in for a takeaway when Im in that area.

I found the service incredible at Opheem, only Adams was better.
I really don't think you can compare the quality of Ithaas and Opheem having done both. Like comparing a Rolls Royce to a BMW.

Not quite 200, 155 for 10 course menu with a further 6 or so snacks. Only Michelin had where I came out full.

Still a lot of money but cheaper than an away day!
(04-02-2024, 01:05 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: Opheem is brilliant, one of the best meals I've ever eaten anywhere.

Seems a bit unfair to lump it into the discussion around 'best curry you've had' mind.

Should try it mate, costs as much as those fancy polo shirts you wear  Wink

Yes but after a shit I will still have my polo shirt
Tony pulis is a wanker 
(04-02-2024, 01:06 PM)richbaggie Wrote:

I really don't think you can compare the quality of Ithaas and Opheem having done both. Like comparing a Rolls Royce to a BMW.

Not quite 200, 155 for 10 course menu with a further 6 or so snacks. Only Michelin had where I came out full.

A group of 4 can dine out in quite decent surroundings with at least as good food & service for £200. Throw in a drink or 2 also.

It's payment for excellent (I assume) pretentious food with an air of ostentatious snobbery, in surroundings where you accept everything is par excellence and you wouldn't or can't complain in case it miffs those around you.
Dark coloured polo is probably for the best, you never know.
(04-02-2024, 01:51 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:

A group of 4 can dine out in quite decent surroundings with at least as good food & service for £200. Throw in a drink or 2 also.

It's payment for excellent (I assume) pretentious food with an air of ostentatious snobbery, in surroundings where you accept everything is par excellence and you wouldn't or can't complain in case it miffs those around you.

Why do you yoke excellence with pretentiousness and snobbery ? Have you been to one?
(04-02-2024, 02:02 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 01:51 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 11:28 AM)pindgill Wrote: How you can box Indian cuisine into a “Michelin’ format in inconceivable to me Indian food is at its best with a number of dishes and you mix and match to your taste!!..

Why do you yoke excellence with pretentiousness and snobbery ? Have you been to one?

I'm saying the food is excellent but in no way justifies the cost ...