Off to Istanbul tomorrow
Any recommends other than the usual Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque etc?
(04-13-2019, 07:22 PM)Fido Wrote: Any recommends other than the usual Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque etc?

Whatever you do, don’t try smuggling hash
(04-13-2019, 07:22 PM)Fido Wrote: Any recommends other than the usual Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque etc?

Back in time for the game at the Mad Stad mate?

The Topkapi Palace, the home of the Ottoman Sultans, is well worth a visit.

It holds an early world map, the Piri Reis map, that isn't usually on display to the public, but a it has a good museum for old Ottoman armour and jewellery that's worth seeing.

There was a 1960's film starring Melina Mercouri and Peter Ustinov that centres on a theft of a priceless dagger from the palace that whet my appetite to visit the place - and I wasn't disappointed.

I'm sure you'll have a great time in Istanbul. It's a really vibrant city.
I stopped off in Istanbul for a couple of nights on the way back from India..

Have a stroll down to the main bridge and eat some of the fish sandwiches off the boats, they taste great, and just let yourself get lost in the winding streets...

I also had the full Turkish Bath experience which I think was the only way I’d have ever got 4 weeks of dust and grime off my body after trekking round India.
(04-13-2019, 08:19 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

That was the plan but nephew’s 18th has put the kaibosh on it.
(04-13-2019, 09:33 PM)Fido Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 08:19 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

That was the plan but nephew’s 18th has put the kaibosh on it.

Shame mate. I'm in a box for QPR v Blackburn on Good Friday for a mate's 50th (lads lived with in Slough will be there). All day session. Not missing the Reading v Albion game on the Monday though. We have to beat them sometime there. Anyhow. How all good for you mate.

I was there a few weeks ago - stayed in Ortakoy, not too far from Besiktas

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B%C3%B...29.0270108

There's a boat trip from the Mosque there for about a £5 around the Bosphorus. 

We also went over to Fenerbahce on the Asian side which was great. 

It's an absolutely massive city and very confusing to get around.
(04-13-2019, 07:40 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:

Whatever you do, don’t try smuggling hash

Big Grin
I've been to Constantinople not Istanbul.