Sunak's address to the nation.
Slightly surprised there has been no comment on this.

Probably the strangest thing I have seen a serving PM do. It was also just a little sinister....what does he have planned to counter this 'threat to democracy'.

I can't quite work out if he is playing politics or is genuinely worried by the result in the Rochdale by election. If the latter it further brings into question his suitability to be PM.

As unlikeable as Galloway is, his victory was no more than a chance for the electorate to voice their opposition to the Govts position regarding the conflict in Gaza. Nothing more than that. And a by election held within a year of a GE gives the opportunity for it to revolve around just one issue, safe in the knowledge that another election is imminent when more domestic concerns will be to the fore.

If Sunak is concerned about extremism (such a mis used word in politics) and threats to democracy he might want to look to those in his own party who seem only too happy to sew discord and division.
My job brings me into contact with counter terrorism officers and they have said that the biggest threat to the UK public comes from far right extremists. I'm guessing that they aren't the people Sunak et al are concerned about.
(03-04-2024, 11:21 AM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: My job brings me into contact with counter terrorism officers and they have said that the biggest threat to the UK public comes from far right extremists. I'm guessing that they aren't the people Sunak et al are concerned about.

Same - we have an annual training session on counter terrorism and it's been consistently pointed out that the right wing are the biggest threat.  Pinko pansy coppers though, ay it.

Back to the OP.  We're about to run into an election and the press and their lapdog Tories will throw everything they can at avoiding annihilation. Tax cuts, project fear, The Ghost Of Jeremy Corbyn, Strangely Consumed Hot Dogs, 'Wokism'.  They'll drift further to the right and closer to extinction. 

I'm going to enjoy the ride.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
(03-04-2024, 11:21 AM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: My job brings me into contact with counter terrorism officers and they have said that the biggest threat to the UK public comes from far right extremists. I'm guessing that they aren't the people Sunak et al are concerned about.

“Islamist extremists and far-right groups are spreading a poison,” he said. “That poison is extremism. It aims to drain us of our confidence in ourselves as a people and in our shared future.”

To misquote George Galloway, Islamists and far right groups are two cheeks of the same arse.