Racism and the Tories
Dogs and fleas springs to mind. None of them can ever own the grime that they roll in. Always an anomaly or someone else’s problem
Someone could have been killed
(03-12-2024, 12:32 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(03-12-2024, 11:48 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Just a basic acknowledgment that this is a deeply racist party and claiming otherwise was as stupid as we all knew it was at the time. Just not sure that kind of self reflection and humility exists though.

It was not my personal experience that the Tory Party was "deeply racist". I would not have been a member of a Party that I considered racist, sexist or homophobic.

I still don't believe the Tory Party is "deeply racist", as illustrated by the front bench for a decade now. Do you think those Tory MPs would be members of a "deeply racist" party? Or that they'd have been elevated to the highest offices in the land by racists? Or do you consider them to be "coconuts"?

I don't.

They're too scared or in denial to confront a party that has in the very recent past had elected members - including cabinet ministers - part of a Tory group that wanted to repatriate them and their families. The "Drys" have always been there, pointing to the "Wets" doesn't hide that fact.

I've been called loads of names by Labour and Green activists, almost entirely related to me being a yellow Tory. I've got into a fairly spirited (though good faith) argument with an ex-UKIP member on the doorstep over Brexit. The only time a group of members of a political party have abused my over the colour of my skin were Tory party members - and this wasn't that long ago. Neither the Birmingham Tories nor the University of Birmingham society did anything. There's also the complete racist mess that is the Sandwell Tories - to the pont where even Tory members who are councillors have been kicked out of the Tory group for raising issues with the issue of racism in the Sandwell Tories. You are just demonstrating your wilful blind spots over the Tory party because you're unwilling to accept the very unsavoury elements of the Tory right that have always been present - that you deliberately ignored were there when you were a member. You don't align yourself with the European hard right group (instead of the European soft right group) alongside the AfD, PiS, FdI (who are the literal successor party to Mussolini's PFR) or the Swedish Democrats, or have elected MPs go to CPAC out of nothing.

The major reason why I'm a Lib Dem instead of a Tory is that I'd rather deal with disagreements with a bunch of idealistic social democrats instead of people that don't consider me British despite me, both of my parents and one of my grandparents being born here. It's not a worthy trade off to support a party that might "win".

You've seen the denial with the Tory Ministers being unable to call out Lee Anderson's comments on Sadiq Khan for what they were - blatant racism - even after they kicked him out and Mel Stride's attempts to pretend that Hester isn't a racist prick. Even when the evidence is right there they are unable to accept the reality and call out Tory racism for what it is.
(03-12-2024, 12:39 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: clear examples

Which "clear examples" are you referring to?
Still deflecting, I see. Never owning.

How much clearer do you want than Anderson or the current Diane Abbot saga?
And now we have Kwasi Kwarteng saying that the comments are clearly racist and sexist, but he doesn't believe that Hester has said them in spite of the fact that Hester has fucking apologised for them (and therefore clearly taken ownership).

This is like the Stratford Tories being unwilling to confront a former Tory councillor that was literally kicked out of the Tories for being an anti-Semite and letting her stand again unopposed by them, leaving it to the Stratford Lib Dems to actually get rid of her after two attempts.
They can’t even decide amongst themselves just how racist they are

https://x.com/exploding_heads/status/176...30282?s=46
(03-12-2024, 01:10 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Still deflecting, I see. Never owning.

How much clearer do you want than Anderson or the current Diane Abbot saga?

Sorry, I clearly have a different perception of what a "senior member" of the Tory Party is. Lee Anderson and a I guy I'd never heard of until today?
10m donor and deputy chairman. Keep going….

I mean neither sound very relevant do they?

Go on, say the words

They’re a racist party and I know they are

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/202...ming-gangs

There’s another. One of your own Baroness’ about one of your own Front Benchers (at the time)

Still not ready to utter the truth?
Like shit off a shovel when it came to Labour and antisemitism, Proth.

Stuttering like a lost child when it comes to your own patch.

Funny.
(03-12-2024, 04:17 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: Like shit off a shovel when it came to Labour and antisemitism, Proth.

Stuttering like a lost child when it comes to your own patch.

Funny.

Funny in a very certain sense of the word. Embarrassing inconsistencies in other senses.