Cyrille
6 years ago today. Always remembered. RIP.
Too young to have seen him play. I never met him. I knew very little of him as a man. Yet I still felt very emotional when he passed. I recall listening to BBC WM on the train home from Snowhill. I was in tears, genuinely, when I heard Franksy speaking with Big Dave. I've never felt emotion as the death of a celebrity before, or since, but Cyrille's death hit me in a way I can't really explain. I guess it shows just how ingrained he is in the club.

6 years have flown by, btw.
Years fly by.
I saw his league debut v Middlesbrough and what a gosl that day he scored.
He was a fantastic player and was gutted when we sold him. Thought at the time it was madness.
The accolades across football to him showed what he meant, especially to young black kids.
Hearing Ian Wright and especially Dion Dublin made me feel so proud and moved.
Simply a magical player from what was a magical era for our club.
I think the saddest I’ve ever felt about a loss that isn’t kin or close friend. Still brings the tears.
Someone could have been killed
I remember when we signed him from Hayes for £5,000, and what an immediate impact he made. His physique really stood out. Raw power and strength but obviously ability too. Regular goal
of the month contender on Match of the Day in a great era for the club under Big Ron. A real legend and by all accounts an absolute gent.
(01-14-2024, 09:22 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Years fly by.
I saw his league debut v Middlesbrough and what a gosl that day he scored.
He was a fantastic player and was gutted when we sold him. Thought at the time it was madness.
The accolades across football to him showed what he meant, especially to young black kids.
Hearing Ian Wright and especially Dion Dublin made me feel so proud and moved.
Simply a magical player from what was a magical era for our club.

The club organised such an amazing tribute - Wright, Dublin etc and The Impossible Dream was a perfect
fit - incredibly emotional. RIP Cyrille.
The Club was wonderful in remembering Cyrille - the funeral and the Southampton game. In that respect, its a club to be proud of. Emotional afternoon that was.

I found out around 8am before work and spent the day wondering what to do afterwards. So I had taken a scarf with me to tie to the Astle Gates that evening. I recall a few being there, then as the days went on, the gates were overwhelmed with tributes.
Quite simply the most wonderful player in the most fantastic team in all my years of watching us. I met him in a nightclub with my then girlfriend who pushed me to say hello but I could barely speak. He was gracious and kind. A gent and irresistible on the pitch. Alan Hansen had no qualms in saying Cyrille was his most difficult and dangerous opponent.
(01-14-2024, 09:24 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: I think the saddest I’ve ever felt about a loss that isn’t kin or close friend. Still brings the tears.

I lost my dad in the December before the big man died. It was on cyrilles passing that I imploded. I’ve never gotten over it
(01-14-2024, 10:03 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Quite simply the most wonderful player in the most fantastic team in all my years of watching us.  I met him in a nightclub with my then girlfriend who pushed me to say hello but I could barely speak. He was gracious and kind. A gent and irresistible on the pitch. Alan Hansen had no qualms in saying Cyrille was his most difficult and dangerous opponent.

I spoke with Emlyn Hughes once, and when I mentioned I was Albion he immediately started talking about playing against the great man.