Songs
Having quite a a few drinks after our win today, so I'll probably look at this tomorrow morning and wish I hadn't posted!
Anyway, it was a great win, but it seemed to me that most of the songs were anti-Wolves rather than pro Albion. I've no great problem with this, as, being a Tipton mon, I've always regarded the Wolves to be our biggest rivals, though I'm not sure how much 'Stand up if you hate the Wolves' spurs the team on.
However, the song that always gets me is 'Stevie Bull's a tatter'. Lots of the people singing would have been too young  to have seen Bull playing, because he retired 25 years ago! If I were Bull, I'd be so flattered that the supporters of my main rivals were still singing about me, regardless of the content, after all that time.
Don't get me wrong, all of the songs add to the atmosphere and I'd rather have that than silence, but I just don't get this one.
He wears a tatter's hat, don't you know.
(01-13-2024, 10:59 PM)Tiptonmon Wrote: Having quite a a few drinks after our win today, so I'll probably look at this tomorrow morning and wish I hadn't posted!
Anyway, it was a great win, but it seemed to me that most of the songs were anti-Wolves rather than pro Albion. I've no great problem with this, as, being a Tipton mon, I've always regarded the Wolves to be our biggest rivals, though I'm not sure how much 'Stand up if you hate the Wolves' spurs the team on.
However, the song that always gets me is 'Stevie Bull's a tatter'. Lots of the people singing would have been too young  to have seen Bull playing, because he retired 25 years ago! If I were Bull, I'd be so flattered that the supporters of my main rivals were still singing about me, regardless of the content, after all that time.
Don't get me wrong, all of the songs add to the atmosphere and I'd rather have that than silence, but I just don't get this one.
I quite like hearing it sung. So many clubs seem so soulless now dishing out the same chants with a few words replaced, I don't mind the occasional nod back as long as it doesn't overshadow supporting the team.
Fair enough, but I'd rather hear a song about Bomber Brown than Steve Bull if you want a 'nod back'.
I like the old songs. Have to say, the atmos was very flat today (and against Norwich). At least the dingle songs raised it a bit. It's high time we had an original song though, that re-working of the Yaya/Kolo Toure song was cringe and Tom Fellows deserves better than the terrible "One of our own" shite.
I’m not sure the players by and large hear anything other than noise being generated. Whatever gets some of that is good by me
Someone could have been killed
A lot of the songs/chants these days seem to be re-workings of each other. Tunes etc. I'm not saying that is terrible, but the orginality of the days of yore, has gone.
Maybe we’ll hear “slap a Dingle” soon, always makes me smile !
I've said before that the Stevie Bull song should have ended when he retired. I started going up the Albion in 77 so it would be akin to singing a song then about a player who had retired in 1952.

No surprise about the amount of Wolves songs today though, considering they could be our next home opponents. Happens every time in the games immediately before we play Villa or Wolves. I'd prefer us to concentrate on pro-Albion songs but if it let's Carlos and the team know how much the games against those teams matter then job done.
Majority of new fans nowadays just sing generic songs that they've taken from another fan base. It's quite embarrassing.

He's one of our own, he's one of our own, Tom Fellows he's one of our own. Fuck off with that shit chant.