Refs & VAR
Will these decisions always be questionable.
I see the Cardiff manager is complaining about the ref not giving a penalty ?
PSG v Newcastle handball penalty decision given by VAR was obviously a fix.
and the dings got completely robbed, again!
(11-29-2023, 07:59 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Will these decisions always be questionable.
I see the Cardiff manager is complaining about the ref not giving a penalty ?
PSG v Newcastle handball penalty decision given by VAR was obviously a fix.

Bulat can moan all he wants, there's no way in hell their call was a pen last night.

The Newcastle one was given due to the interpretation in the CL - it's a shame these competitions can have "different" interpretations but under the letter of the CL law it was probably the right call - not that I'd agree with it.
(11-29-2023, 08:32 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: and the dings got completely robbed, again!

As a kid, I used to hate the Wolves, but now, as an old codger in exile I can (almost!) watch their games without too much bias. I have to say that given the poor decisions against them every other match, O'Neil has dealt with the situation with a lot more dignity than most of the buggers would manage.

I have a hazy recollection of us sending a video to the FA, well before VAR, complaining about a number of decisions that seemed to be constantly going against us. Have I imagined this, or can someone put some detail on it?
(11-29-2023, 09:52 AM)Tiptonmon Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 08:32 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: and the dings got completely robbed, again!

As a kid, I used to hate the Wolves, but now, as an old codger in exile I can (almost!) watch their games without too much bias. I have to say that given the poor decisions against them every other match, O'Neil has dealt with the situation with a lot more dignity than most of the buggers would manage.

I have a hazy recollection of us sending a video to the FA, well before VAR, complaining about a number of decisions that seemed to be constantly going against us. Have I imagined this, or can someone put some detail on it?

SGM's days-  first season in the Premier League.  Chants at Soton away "The Premier League is fuggin bent" - SGM says "You hear what they think..."
On Var, as far as the domestic game is concerned it is an experiment that hasn't worked.

Scrapping it won't mean that refereeing mistakes won't happen, they will.

But we could go back to a world where,

The game is not held up for minutes at a time so that a second team if refs can repeatedly look at an incident in the game and still come to the wrong decision.

Goals won't be ruled out for offside because we know an insignificant amount of an attacker's anatomy is offside. Goals will still be ruled out for wrong offside calls and Goals will be given when they should be ruled out for offside.

The interpretation of the rules on handball might revert to some normalcy and common sense.

We will never have to worry about whether a referees decision was a clear and obvious error.
The offside thing would be easy to fix, just draw thicker lines that give less need for the outcome to be so scientific. thick line - can you see any attacker - yes offside, no onside