Is Braverman an ACTUAL fascist?
(11-16-2023, 04:31 PM)Protheroe Wrote: I refer you KKC's response above.

Those who wished to deny the outcome of the vote rather than working towards a #leastworst compromise to exit the EU are entirely to blame for the rise of Johnson. This includes a large part of the then Parliamentary Conservative Party.

I'm not getting into this pointless debate again.

-dons tin hat-

I agree with Proth - #FBPE folk have a lot to answer for in terms of entrenching already extreme views on both sides of the debate.

Those who wished to deny the outcome of the vote rather than working towards a #leastworst compromise to exit the EU are entirely to blame for the rise of Johnson. This includes a large part of the then Parliamentary Conservative Party.

I know you acknowledge that elements of the Conservative Party worked against the implementation of Brexit, but I'm concerned you might be targeting the wrong people...I might be entirely wrong.

Surely those who kept voting against May's agreement were most to blame. Something they did merely to bring her Govt down and usher in Johnson as her replacement. 

I mean it can't be the agreement they objected to, as they were prepared to vote for one at least as flawed once Johnson was ensconced on No 10.
(11-17-2023, 11:02 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

I know you acknowledge that elements of the Conservative Party worked against the implementation of Brexit, but I'm concerned you might be targeting the wrong people...I might be entirely wrong.

Surely those who kept voting against May's agreement were most to blame. Something they did merely to bring her Govt down and usher in Johnson as her replacement. 

I mean it can't be the agreement they objected to, as they were prepared to vote for one at least as flawed once Johnson was ensconced on No 10.

Well quite but no, no it’s my fault for putting an x in the box
(11-17-2023, 11:02 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Surely those who kept voting against May's agreement were most to blame. Something they did merely to bring her Govt down and usher in Johnson as her replacement. 

Which is precisely why the rest of Parliament should have worked together to ensure the delivery of a more liberal exit. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

It doesn't help that for the whole period the opposition was entirely dysfunctional in every sense, and May was leaning on the DUP.
(11-17-2023, 12:07 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 11:02 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Surely those who kept voting against May's agreement were most to blame. Something they did merely to bring her Govt down and usher in Johnson as her replacement. 

Which is precisely why the rest of Parliament should have worked together to ensure the delivery of a more liberal exit. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

It doesn't help that for the whole period the opposition was entirely dysfunctional in every sense, and May was leaning on the DUP.

Arf you were all for the fruitloops in your party like Baker so don’t rewrite history.

(11-17-2023, 10:55 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:

-dons tin hat-

I agree with Proth - #FBPE folk have a lot to answer for in terms of entrenching already extreme views on both sides of the debate.

Arf you’re going to have to list all those benefits to the working people Ted…
(11-17-2023, 12:29 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Arf you’re going to have to list all those benefits to the working people Ted…

There aren't any - I voted to remain.

It's like Proth said the other day, optics to give the impression of something where you can't actually achieve anything. A 'Brexit in name only' would have sufficed for many and would see us in a much better position than we now find ourselves in, in my opinion.
(11-17-2023, 02:19 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 12:29 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Arf you’re going to have to list all those benefits to the working people Ted…

There aren't any - I voted to remain.

It's like Proth said the other day, optics to give the impression of something where you can't actually achieve anything. A 'Brexit in name only' would have sufficed for many and would see us in a much better position than we now find ourselves in, in my opinion.

Brexit was always going to happen. The referendum voted for it, and supported it with a mandate for the Conservatives to "Get Brexit done".

You can argue whether the vote should have happened, whether it was right for the country etc, and my view has changed. I wouldn't vote Brexit today. But get over yourselves, the country voted for it, and as democracy it has to be delivered. I thought we had left the days of Michael Foot pledging to  abolish the House of Lords, and a "politburo" governance telling us what was correct for us.

The country voted for Brexit - and it was wrong. I'm proud though that the British process has seen a form of Brexit delivered, rather than a Government tell us why they aren't carrying out the wishes of the public.
(11-17-2023, 04:25 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: I'm proud though that the British process has seen a form of Brexit delivered, rather than a Government tell us why they aren't carrying out the wishes of the public.

Or indeed, more referendums until the public came up with the correct answer.

As it stands, for the vast majority of people Brexit hasn't made (and won't make) a single material difference to their lives. Good or ill. Particularly as long as our political class seems to want to ape the high tax / high regulation habits of our neighbours. 

<sigh>
(11-17-2023, 04:42 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 04:25 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: I'm proud though that the British process has seen a form of Brexit delivered, rather than a Government tell us why they aren't carrying out the wishes of the public.

Or indeed, more referendums until the public came up with the correct answer.

As it stands, for the vast majority of people Brexit hasn't made (and won't make) a single material difference to their lives. Good or ill. Particularly as long as our political class seems to want to ape the high tax / high regulation habits of our neighbours. 

<sigh>

Hi Liz…

[Image: 302-Cover-Image-1.jpg]
Twat.