HS2
(10-14-2023, 08:57 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: Green Party? Give me a break

The greens voted against and campaigned against HS2. I drive an electric car, I’ve got solar, I’m not a climate change denier.

Yet the road to net zero cannot be that all things win all the time as long as they’re virtuous. The greens were against HS2 because it went through patches of green belt and limited amounts of deforestation.  They never considered the net carbon effect of HS2 to road and rail and the decarbonisation of transport that HS2 brought.

A sister lobby group none affiliated to the Green Party, splinter group - Greens for HS2, broke away form the Green Party due to their stance.

The Greens are a great example of a protest party unable to grasp the choices and realism facing us as a society to balance our required climate commitments with the need for economic stability and tough choices.

Whereas Tories and Labour have a monumental grasp of the choices facing the planet, the former bunch exemplified by the debacle that is HS2. No short- termism, career-driven politics in sight. Give me a break.
The Greens have no strategy. No way forward no balance and if you want a view go have a look what Scottish Green Maggie Chapman said.

Don’t make this a race to the bottom either. No political party should be compared to this current administration.

Labour while too cautious have a plan and a point of difference. There’s a real irony for me that I’ve no doubt Labour would love to have bolder policies but as soon as they do they get castigated as being looney left.
(10-14-2023, 09:17 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: The Greens have no strategy. No way forward no balance and if you want a view go have a look what Scottish Green Maggie Chapman said.

Don’t make this a race to the bottom either. No political party should be compared to this current administration.

Labour while too cautious have a plan and a point of difference. There’s a real irony for me that I’ve no doubt Labour would love to have bolder policies but as soon as they do they get castigated as being looney left.

Damned by faint praise, I think they call it.
Too afraid to develop bold policies? That's some recommendation and redolent of the willingness to abandon principles in order to gain votes. No point of difference there between the big two parties.
The Greens having a faction regarding HS2? Pales into insignificance when one recalls the anti-Semitism rows.
As for policies, they are all clearly laid out on the Green Party website. They align overwhelmingly with my way of perceiving the world so they get my vote every time. Plus no industrial donors in sight, no union  backing to be beholden to. 
As for the race to the bottom, that's pretty much done and dusted.
(10-14-2023, 12:07 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I agree Burley, although it was very much lauded as High Speed which suggests it was never really publicised correctly. For me this is a huge failure of management, again, like any huge project we just can't get it right. We are the ultimate example of too many cowboys not enough Injuns.

The guy who delivered hs1 on time and under budget was deemed unfit to do the same for hs2. This was due to him insisting on capacity over speed. Rolleyes

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/...0-05-2014/