Armed police
Quite telling, isn't it, an armed police officer gets charged and a load of them hand in their guns and say they don't want to do it anymore now that they're not immune from criminal charges...
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
Mass strop
Someone could have been killed
Obviously the full circumstances of the case aren't known, but if it's your job to take down armed villains and you get charged with murder for doing what you're paid for, then confidence in the powers-that-be will disappear. I've had arguments with venue managers about them allowing people to do what they want even though security want them gone. Different levels, but the same issues. You do get disillusioned with being over ruled, despite you having the qualifications and experience to do what is right for the security of the rest of the audience.
(09-24-2023, 02:01 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: Obviously the full circumstances of the case aren't known, but if it's your job to take down armed villains and you get charged with murder for doing what you're paid for, then confidence in the powers-that-be will disappear. I've had arguments with venue managers about them allowing people to do what they want even though security want them gone. Different levels, but the same issues. You do get disillusioned with being over ruled, despite you having the qualifications and experience to do what is right for the security of the rest of the audience.

Agree, I'm no blind defender of the police and they need to face responsibility for all their actions. In this case it is better to wait until all the facts are out in the open before becoming armchair judges.
I'm not so much judging the incident itself but the reaction from the copper's colleagues which is effectively stating that if they can't have carte blanche to shoot and kill people they don't want to be in the job anymore. Unsurprisingly, it appears Braverman has taken the bait...
(09-24-2023, 04:38 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: I'm not so much judging the incident itself but the reaction from the copper's colleagues which is effectively stating that if they can't have carte blanche to shoot and kill people they don't want to be in the job anymore. Unsurprisingly, it appears Braverman has taken the bait...

It's not that they want "carte blanche" to shoot people, it's about knowing that they'll not be hauled into court and end up with a criminal record for doing the job they've trained for. If you faced a possibly criminal charge for doing your job, you'd have second thoughts about doing it.
Not sure that any job that involves possibly shooting people dead can sit alongside no mechanism for insuring that kind of accountability. Just look at the Mark Duggan case

Also - shooting people dead isn't 'doing your job'. Using firearms correctly, is
Someone could have been killed
Given high profile cases over the years (which didn't result in prosecution) including multiple RUC shootings, it doesn't take much immagination to picture a culture of perceived immunity.
Maybe if the lad stopped when asked to no one would be having this debate
(09-25-2023, 08:52 AM)Pipkins Wrote: Maybe if the lad stopped when asked to no one would be having this debate

Good morning officer.