Labour’s message…
The point I was making was simply about training or the lack of it partly due to capital spending being cut on projects where you would have expected trainng (apprentice levy suff) to take place as the contracts and subsidies are handed out. I mean you'd think there would have been a plan to negate the exodus of EU workers too. I suppose small state lessez faire economics would have dealt with it... well fuck my old boots ARF. Interestingly in the salubrius area I live in there are several large extensions being built where the quotes were massive and are taking months longer as the builders are working on other projects as they wait for a roofer, plasterer, sparky or plumber. How often am I asked dyou know any good builders, plumbers. sparkys, painters and decorators? The building industry is a joke in so many ways.
I would like to see a committment to apprentiships and a return to practical education in schools. Nobody should be able to work on someones property without having papers
Fuck the Tories, Fuck Brexit, Fuck Putin & Fuck VAR
(09-08-2023, 09:12 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 07:32 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: I agree, they're totally uninspiring.  I keep on clinging to the belief that they've all had a sensible chat and said "if there's no discenrable difference between us and them, they'll vote for us because this lot are cunts and everyone knows it" and it's a case of keep your head down until we get in.

But I don't actually believe that, it's just blind hope. 

I'm seriously contemplating leaving the country in 3-5 years (and that's not hyperbole).

Oh for sure, i'll be off as soon as circs allow. Also around 5 years.

Same, looking at Switzerland.

5 years gives me time to do a PhD and get to B2 in French and German
(09-08-2023, 11:59 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: I was thinking of joining all the sex tourists in South East Asia, semi retired, remote working, "airbnb" between Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Bali - Thailand, Japan or Singapore when I get poorly. Genuinely, the only thing putting me off is being presumed to be sex tourist (I will take my wife who will vouch for me!).  I remember it from backpacking and it as seedy AF.  And I fit 'the type':  Fat, white, middle aged, wealthy. I'll overdo the tie-dye to overcompensate.

Parts of South America appeal too - Buenos Aires and Medellin for example, have well established expat/digital nomad communities - plus it sounds fucking dodgy (even though it's quite safe) which I like!

A big factor is cost of living which rules out the US for me.  I've been there relatively extensively and, for retirement, nothing but Hawaii appeals.  Where would you go in the States?

If cost of living is an issue South America is about one of the worst places to go. Argentina's economy is worse than Turkeys.

I wish I'd moved to the US in 2006 when it was $2/£

(09-08-2023, 12:02 PM)Pontificator Wrote: The point I was making was simply about training or the lack of it

Which was exactly the point I was responding to. The Appreticeship levy raises loads of cash but doesn't direct it where we have shortages.

For instance, law firms offer apprenticeships when every year there is a surfeit of law graduates who can't get a training contract.
South America will be my destination but i've no idea at the moment what to do in terms of remote working.
Someone could have been killed
(09-08-2023, 01:01 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 11:59 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: I was thinking of joining all the sex tourists in South East Asia, semi retired, remote working, "airbnb" between Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Bali - Thailand, Japan or Singapore when I get poorly. Genuinely, the only thing putting me off is being presumed to be sex tourist (I will take my wife who will vouch for me!).  I remember it from backpacking and it as seedy AF.  And I fit 'the type':  Fat, white, middle aged, wealthy. I'll overdo the tie-dye to overcompensate.

Parts of South America appeal too - Buenos Aires and Medellin for example, have well established expat/digital nomad communities - plus it sounds fucking dodgy (even though it's quite safe) which I like!

A big factor is cost of living which rules out the US for me.  I've been there relatively extensively and, for retirement, nothing but Hawaii appeals.  Where would you go in the States?

If cost of living is an issue South America is about one of the worst places to go. Argentina's economy is worse than Turkeys.

I'm planning on earning £s or $s, not pesos.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
(09-08-2023, 01:24 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: South America will be my destination but i've no idea at the moment what to do in terms of remote working.

Uruguay would probably be an option, quite safe and relatively stable. Or Costa Rica (Central America, I know but the same neck of the woods). 

And if anyone still has that image of the Uruguayan lass with her n...ah, forget it.
(09-08-2023, 02:44 PM)Fido Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 01:24 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: South America will be my destination but i've no idea at the moment what to do in terms of remote working.

Uruguay would probably be an option, quite safe and relatively stable. Or Costa Rica (Central America, I know but the same neck of the woods). 

And if anyone still has that image of the Uruguayan lass with her n...ah, forget it.

AHAHAHAH!!!! PINK PUFFY NIPPLES!!!

Cheers Fido. A genuinely useful post and starting point. Can't go til 2028 realistically so will enjo the research
Someone could have been killed
(09-08-2023, 04:11 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:

Cheers Fido. A genuinely useful post and starting point. Can't go til 2028 realistically so will enjo the research

r/digitalnomad
(09-08-2023, 11:59 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 11:24 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 08:57 AM)Pontificator Wrote: QED
The problem I have with the building bullshit is there's no fucking builders, carpenters, plumbers, roofers etc. We've had three cohorts of kids through the education/college system in the last 14 years, maybe if BSF had been fully operational we might have had a few more fully trained bricklayers etc...see the point?

Arf. Construction runs at 100% capacity with or without BSF Ponty. What Labour could do is reform the Apprentice Levy to incentive housebuilders to train more kids.

See there's another positive thing they could say. 

I should get a job writing their Manifesto.

(09-08-2023, 09:12 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 07:32 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: I'm seriously contemplating leaving the country in 3-5 years (and that's not hyperbole).

Oh for sure, i'll be off as soon as circs allow. Also around 5 years.

I'm curious as to where you'd go. Me? I'd happily move to the States tomorrow. I was speaking to P Major last night about here considering Germany where 75% of professionals services companies simply can't recruit enough skilled labour.

I was thinking of joining all the sex tourists in South East Asia, semi retired, remote working, "airbnb" between Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Bali - Thailand, Japan or Singapore when I get poorly. Genuinely, the only thing putting me off is being presumed to be sex tourist (I will take my wife who will vouch for me!).  I remember it from backpacking and it as seedy AF.  And I fit 'the type':  Fat, white, middle aged, wealthy. I'll overdo the tie-dye to overcompensate.

Have you been to SE Asia recently? There is a lot of difference between those countries, I exclude Japan having never been there. Are they any seedier than parts of the UK? Certainly safer