Labour’s message…
(09-09-2023, 05:42 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 11:59 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 11:24 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 08:57 AM)Pontificator Wrote: QED
The problem I have with the building bullshit is there's no fucking builders, carpenters, plumbers, roofers etc. We've had three cohorts of kids through the education/college system in the last 14 years, maybe if BSF had been fully operational we might have had a few more fully trained bricklayers etc...see the point?

Arf. Construction runs at 100% capacity with or without BSF Ponty. What Labour could do is reform the Apprentice Levy to incentive housebuilders to train more kids.

See there's another positive thing they could say. 

I should get a job writing their Manifesto.

(09-08-2023, 09:12 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 07:32 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: I'm seriously contemplating leaving the country in 3-5 years (and that's not hyperbole).

Oh for sure, i'll be off as soon as circs allow. Also around 5 years.

I'm curious as to where you'd go. Me? I'd happily move to the States tomorrow. I was speaking to P Major last night about here considering Germany where 75% of professionals services companies simply can't recruit enough skilled labour.

I was thinking of joining all the sex tourists in South East Asia, semi retired, remote working, "airbnb" between Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Bali - Thailand, Japan or Singapore when I get poorly. Genuinely, the only thing putting me off is being presumed to be sex tourist (I will take my wife who will vouch for me!).  I remember it from backpacking and it as seedy AF.  And I fit 'the type':  Fat, white, middle aged, wealthy. I'll overdo the tie-dye to overcompensate.

Parts of South America appeal too - Buenos Aires and Medellin for example, have well established expat/digital nomad communities - plus it sounds fucking dodgy (even though it's quite safe) which I like!

A big factor is cost of living which rules out the US for me.  I've been there relatively extensively and, for retirement, nothing but Hawaii appeals.  Where would you go in the States?

Have you been to SE Asia recently? There is a lot of difference between those countries, I exclude Japan having never been there. Are they any seedier than parts of the UK? Certainly safer

I've been to all of those countries but 15 years ago now. The seediness doesn't bother me as I won't be part of that community and, I don't really care what other people think too much. Certainly not enough to not do it. Of those countries listed I'd only really consider Thailand to be 'seedy' due to the overt proliferation of sex work. I say that, but Bangkok is a fun place (I only observed!) and one of my favourite cities for a short stay - because its seedy!

I'm looking for hippy vibes, warm weather, low cost of living and great food and scenery. Oh and decent Internet and not too difficult for a non native to live in. Assuming the internet is better these days I reckon I'm pointed in the right direction.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT