Chris Pincher Gone
By election in Tamworth.

Labour will win

Turnout there will be very good indicator of how solid positive support actually is for Starmer and whether Tory voters simply stay at home again - which will be the Tories greatest worry for a GE.
(09-07-2023, 09:32 AM)Protheroe Wrote: By election in Tamworth.

Labour will win

Turnout there will be very good indicator of how solid positive support actually is for Starmer and whether Tory voters simply stay at home again - which will be the Tories greatest worry for a GE.

I'll be looking at the number of votes the Reform candidate gets, assuming there is one.

The last poll I read had them at 8%, yet their support at the ballot box in recent by elections have been nowhere near that.

Can we assume that very few people who tell polling organisations that they intend to vote for them, will actually vote Reform . 

Might be worth adding their support to the Conservative poll numbers to get a more realistic idea of what Labour’s lead is.

Labour will win

Support for Starmer is solid but maybe not for the reasons you mean by the word. It's solid because there is no other choice. If there was, it wouldnt be. 

For the record my left(er) leaning other half who usually votes Labour, won't vote for Starmer. Countered by my centre right friends who havent voted for Labour since 2010 but now will.
Someone could have been killed
(09-07-2023, 10:53 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I'll be looking at the number of votes the Reform candidate gets, assuming there is one.

I wouldn't read anything into that at all, particularly as a bellweather for the GE.

2024 has all the hallmarks of pendulum shift about 3 degrees to the left and nothing more exciting than that.

(09-07-2023, 10:59 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: For the record my left(er) leaning other half who usually votes Labour, won't vote for Starmer. 

Do you want me to have the #leastworst chat with him/her/them?
You’re more than welcome to try. Be entertaining for sure. I’ve left her to it. The seat she votes in will only go one way anyway.
Someone could have been killed
(09-07-2023, 10:59 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:

Labour will win

Support for Starmer is solid but maybe not for the reasons you mean by the word. It's solid because there is no other choice. If there was, it wouldnt be. 

For the record my left(er) leaning other half who usually votes Labour, won't vote for Starmer. Countered by my centre right friends who havent voted for Labour since 2010 but now will.

I mean there is a very obvious conclusion to draw from that  isn't there. Offer Centre rifgt policies, get centre right voters.

I'm on the left if UK politics, but haven't voted Labour since 1992, fir a variety of reasons, although the red line issue is Labour’s lack of support for electoral reform.

That said, come GE time, given our 2 party system I want Labour to win. 2019 saw a change to that position. In 2019 for all sorts of reasons Labour were a real mess, and I hoped for a hung parliament.

Now I definitely want a hung parliament, giving this current iteration of Labour a huge majority would be appalling.
(09-07-2023, 01:53 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Now I definitely want a hung parliament, giving this current iteration of Labour a huge majority would be appalling.

What a terrifying prospect. As if the indecisive flux of the last seven years wasn't enough.
(09-07-2023, 02:50 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 01:53 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Now I definitely want a hung parliament, giving this current iteration of Labour a huge majority would be appalling.

What a terrifying prospect. As if the indecisive flux of the last seven years wasn't enough.

I dont think thats a prospect as who could be inspired by Starmer and his beige crew
(09-07-2023, 03:16 PM)Ournextstriker Wrote:

I dont think thats a prospect as who could be inspired by Starmer and his beige crew

If it wasn't for my desparation to get the current incumbants out, I'd be putting a massive cock and balls on my ballot paper.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT

Coalition Govt doesn't have to be terrifying or indecisive...other countries demonstrate this.

And could it be any worse than the last 4 years of single party govt with a sizeable majority.