Birmingham City Council
Let’s face it, in the current quagmire of chaos this is just another small bullet point on the list.

God knows what more is to come by the time Sunak finally gets evicted from his unelected leadership - I’m not sure we’ve got a year left in us to find out
Someone could have been killed
Single Status was introduced by a Labour Government shortly after it was elected in '97. It was to deal with the issues surrounding equal pay. WTF is wrong with that one may ask. Council jobs were assessed and placed on a scale. It meant that domestic staff in schools, for eg, were placed on the same scale as dust men and gardners etc. They earned more than the women for jobs that were essentially similar. The unforseen result of that was that it was plain for everyone to see after a bit of argy bargy that women had been underpaid for decades and had the right to an equal pay claim. A proper shit show. Bin men would earn less and women would get equal pay. (a bit more to it than that) Birmingham being the biggest authority in Europe of course had more liability and still has. I would maintain that since the UK government introduced this, the UK government should fund it. Of course fat Tory cunts that like the big dinners bloke, are trying to make political capital out of this, in the same way as they blamed UK Labour for causing the global finacial crisis.
Fuck the Tories, Fuck Brexit, Fuck Putin & Fuck VAR
Hang on. What’s wrong with big dinners?
(09-06-2023, 07:16 AM)Pontificator Wrote: Single Status was introduced by a Labour Government shortly after it was elected in '97. It was to deal with the issues surrounding equal pay. WTF is wrong with that one may ask. Council jobs were assessed and placed on a scale. It meant that domestic staff in schools, for eg, were placed on the same scale as dust men and gardners etc. They earned more than the women for jobs that were essentially similar. The unforseen result of that was that it was plain for everyone to see after a bit of argy bargy that women had been underpaid for decades and had the right to an equal pay claim. A proper shit show. Bin men would earn less and women would get equal pay. (a bit more to it than that) Birmingham being the biggest authority in Europe of course had more liability and still has. I would maintain that since the UK government introduced this, the UK government should fund it. Of course fat Tory cunts that like the big dinners bloke, are trying to make political capital out of this, in the same way as they blamed UK Labour for causing the global finacial crisis.

You may maintain that position. 

But, when I worked there I saw just how much highly unionised mostly male departments had jacked up the wages and allowances in Highways and Waste to ludicrous levels. Street Lighting engineers were amongst the best paid workers in the whole Council FFS.

Brummie politicians and the Unions then conspired for years to frustrate the implementation of Single Status because of this. The bill grew and grew and with interest is now growing by up to £14 million per month.

The result was not unforseen. Implementation was frustrated - and if the Council had got on with it before the financial crisis there would have been no problem at all. Useless. The fucking lot of them.

(09-06-2023, 07:16 AM)Pontificator Wrote: Of course fat Tory cunts that like the big dinners bloke

Careful, that's one of my best friends you're talking about.
(09-06-2023, 08:26 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-06-2023, 07:16 AM)Pontificator Wrote: Single Status was introduced by a Labour Government shortly after it was elected in '97. It was to deal with the issues surrounding equal pay. WTF is wrong with that one may ask. Council jobs were assessed and placed on a scale. It meant that domestic staff in schools, for eg, were placed on the same scale as dust men and gardners etc. They earned more than the women for jobs that were essentially similar. The unforseen result of that was that it was plain for everyone to see after a bit of argy bargy that women had been underpaid for decades and had the right to an equal pay claim. A proper shit show. Bin men would earn less and women would get equal pay. (a bit more to it than that) Birmingham being the biggest authority in Europe of course had more liability and still has. I would maintain that since the UK government introduced this, the UK government should fund it. Of course fat Tory cunts that like the big dinners bloke, are trying to make political capital out of this, in the same way as they blamed UK Labour for causing the global finacial crisis.

But, when I worked there I saw just how much highly unionised mostly male departments had jacked up the wages and allowances in Highways and Waste to ludicrous levels. Street Lighting engineers were amongst the best paid workers in the whole Council FFS.

Brummie politicians and the Unions then conspired for years to frustrate the implementation of Single Status because of this. The bill grew and grew and with interest is now growing by up to £14 million per month.

The result was not unforseen. Implementation was frustrated - and if the Council had got on with it before the financial crisis there would have been no problem at all. Useless. The fucking lot of them.

(09-06-2023, 07:16 AM)Pontificator Wrote: Of course fat Tory cunts that like the big dinners bloke

Ive met him a few times I like the bloke and I apologise for fat shaming. So we'll leave it at Tory cunt  Smile
What is wrong with what I said...it's factual, where as you rely on anecdotes, union bashing and Tory efficiency bullshit
(09-06-2023, 08:52 AM)Pontificator Wrote:

Ive met him a few times I like the bloke and I apologise for fat shaming. So we'll leave it at Tory cunt  Smile
What is wrong with what I said...it's factual, where as you rely on anecdotes, union bashing and Tory efficiency bullshit

It's not anecdotal evidence to suggest the Unions & Politicians held up implementation of Single Status when every other authority in the Midlands managed it donkeys years ago.
(09-06-2023, 09:08 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-06-2023, 08:52 AM)Pontificator Wrote:

It's not anecdotal evidence to suggest the Unions & Politicians held up implementation of Single Status when every other authority in the Midlands managed it donkeys years ago.

It is if you can’t provide the actual evidence and as you say it’s a suggestion. I imagine it was incredibly difficult to steer a course through the morass and all you do is stand on the sidelines and talk dead cats
(09-06-2023, 10:16 AM)Pontificator Wrote: It is if you can’t provide the actual evidence and as you say it’s a suggestion. I imagine it was incredibly difficult to steer a course through the morass and all you do is stand on the sidelines and talk dead cats

What?

The evidence is several court cases where the Council egged on by the Unions sought to avoid implementing Single Status correctly.

It was going on for years and years. Here's a quote from the the 2010 Court Judgement against the City:

"The 4000 test claimants, who were selected from 49 different job groups within the council and included cleaners, cooks and administrative staff, argued that the council's previous bonus scheme – which was only abolished by the council's Single Status agreement in 2007 – enabled employees in male-dominated roles such as refuse-collecting to be paid an attendance allowance, which was not available to many female staff in different, but similarly-graded, roles at the council. The effect was that some men could earn as much as 160% of the amount paid to women on the same salary grade"

"The claimants argued that senior managers at the council were aware of the problem in 2000 and that backdated salary and interest should be calculated from that date. Solicitor Paul Savage of Stefan Cross Solicitors, which represented 900 of the claimants, claimed that based on 4,000 claimants, the council's bill for backdated salary and interest from 2000 would be around £200 million, with the average claim being worth £50,000. However, the tribunal's ruling potentially enables a further 20,000 female staff to being similar claims, bringing the potential bill to more than £1bn if Savage's figures are correct."
You’re passively discluding some posters by switching from the anecdotal to the evidence-based approach, you realize…
(09-06-2023, 10:53 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-06-2023, 10:16 AM)Pontificator Wrote: It is if you can’t provide the actual evidence and as you say it’s a suggestion. I imagine it was incredibly difficult to steer a course through the morass and all you do is stand on the sidelines and talk dead cats

What?

The evidence is several court cases where the Council egged on by the Unions sought to avoid implementing Single Status correctly.

It was going on for years and years. Here's a quote from the the 2010 Court Judgement against the City:

"The 4000 test claimants, who were selected from 49 different job groups within the council and included cleaners, cooks and administrative staff, argued that the council's previous bonus scheme – which was only abolished by the council's Single Status agreement in 2007 – enabled employees in male-dominated roles such as refuse-collecting to be paid an attendance allowance, which was not available to many female staff in different, but similarly-graded, roles at the council. The effect was that some men could earn as much as 160% of the amount paid to women on the same salary grade"

"The claimants argued that senior managers at the council were aware of the problem in 2000 and that backdated salary and interest should be calculated from that date. Solicitor Paul Savage of Stefan Cross Solicitors, which represented 900 of the claimants, claimed that based on 4,000 claimants, the council's bill for backdated salary and interest from 2000 would be around £200 million, with the average claim being worth £50,000.  However, the tribunal's ruling potentially enables a further 20,000 female staff to being similar claims, bringing the potential bill to more than £1bn if Savage's figures are correct."

senior mangagers are not politicians and you still rely on your usual bullshit 
Evidence of a conspiracy between unions and council mangagers...perhaps you could ask Big Bobby or Big Gaz if they can point you to it