Something Else I Told You So About...
That auto-enrolment would be the biggest case of financial mis-selling in history. State sponsored mis-selling too...

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/pensio...phen-bird/
Roughly speaking I’ve had 23% going in per month for the past 15 years. I can imagine people paying in anything much less are in for a difficult time
Someone could have been killed
(09-04-2023, 06:17 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Roughly speaking I’ve had 23% going in per month for the past 15 years. I can imagine people paying in anything much less are in for a difficult time

Quite right. In auto enrolment government sold a dream, which will turn into a a nightmare of consumption foregone in return for very little long term gain. And perhaps even means tested as the State Pension becomes more and more unaffordable.
(09-04-2023, 06:17 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Roughly speaking I’ve had 23% going in per month for the past 15 years. I can imagine people paying in anything much less are in for a difficult time

I'm at 15% but I started at 22, excluding employer contributions.

The bigger issue is the amount of people on default workplace plans that are so risk averse, if you're entering the workforce you should have a high risk pension and then scale that down as you get older.

That said I did do that under the acceptance that I wouldn't be able to afford a housing deposit.
(09-04-2023, 09:45 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: The bigger issue is the amount of people on default workplace plans that are so risk averse

That is also an issue. However getting returns anywhere in a period of sclerotic growth is exceptionally hard work - unless you have a big position in Nvidia. When you can get 6% on a short term money market account I wonder whether higher risk investments are really worth it atm.