Corberan
(08-06-2023, 11:55 AM)Atomic Wrote: Corberan is creating his own problems to a large extent.

When he took over from Bruce he had a look at what he had in the Sheff Utd game then chose a way of playing and picked the same eleven at every opportunity. He got us paying more attention to detail and we won 9 of the next 10 games. Kept things simple.

Then Phillips got injured and CC started tinkering. First it was Wallace in the ten role, Swift on the left. Then it was Wallace on the left, Albrighton on the right. Results declined.

Now he's messing about again with Molumby as the second striker in a "ten", a completely new central defence, the immobile Chalobah alongside the immobile Yokuslu and over playing from the back.

I believe the problem is, since Guardiola came to England, coaches have got it into their heads that this is the way to play football. What they fail to realise is once most start doing it, it becomes ineffective because only the best are going to succeed at it and we don't have the budget to attract players that are technically superior to other teams in this league.

Football is not about being aesthetically the best team  it's about getting results ultimately

Good post, but it hurt my eyes reading it.
Totally agree ,might be a bit old school but I can't stand this fannying about at the back ,let's face it the opposition will create there own chances during games without us setting g them up.
Give the ball to any creative players you have ,although that's another problem we have and hopefully you've got strikers who can put the majority away .To me we are still only playing 1 up front with no real support and BTA is not a C/F although the kid does try and would benefit from having a target man alongside him .
Yeah, dark times under Ardiles, Mowbray, Fat Ron and Giles playing out from the back
Someone could have been killed
(08-06-2023, 10:45 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 07:50 AM)aj21 Wrote: As much as it boils your piss, it’s one game and he is managing with his hands tied behind his back. The manager is getting the blame for individual mistakes.  If he’d have played Barts/Taylor yesterday they could easily have made stupid errors. If you have average players, expect average results

Luton had a bang average squad last season with one of the smallest budgets in the league. They were however very well organised. Especially defensively. It's all about defensive structure and organisation. We need to work on it. Certainly the mental side. We look timid. There was not one leader along that back line yesterday. Not one. Thats what needs to change.

When we were defensive in the Prem but getting results punching way above our financial weight our fans moaned and moaned and moaned about our success being built first and foremost on our defensive shape be that under RH or TP. Now we want a team built on these principles but also want us to create and score lots of goals whilst the manager watches the club financially die a death by a thousand cuts and fans think we can sell our way to success. 

It’s going to be a long season.
(08-06-2023, 11:55 AM)Atomic Wrote: Corberan is creating his own problems to a large extent.

When he took over from Bruce he had a look at what he had in the Sheff Utd game then chose a way of playing and picked the same eleven at every opportunity. He got us paying more attention to detail and we won 9 of the next 10 games. Kept things simple.

Then Phillips got injured and CC started tinkering. First it was Wallace in the ten role, Swift on the left. Then it was Wallace on the left, Albrighton on the right. Results declined.

Now he's messing about again with Molumby as the second striker in a "ten", a completely new central defence, the immobile Chalobah alongside the immobile Yokuslu and over playing from the back.

I believe the problem is, since Guardiola came to England, coaches have got it into their heads that this is the way to play football. What they fail to realise is once most start doing it, it becomes ineffective because only the best are going to succeed at it and we don't have the budget to attract players that are technically superior to other teams in this league.

Football is not about being aesthetically the best team  it's about getting results ultimately
Great post pal. You’ll prob be deemed a dinosaur but this brontosaurus couldn’t agree more.
(08-06-2023, 12:28 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 10:45 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 07:50 AM)aj21 Wrote: As much as it boils your piss, it’s one game and he is managing with his hands tied behind his back. The manager is getting the blame for individual mistakes.  If he’d have played Barts/Taylor yesterday they could easily have made stupid errors. If you have average players, expect average results

Luton had a bang average squad last season with one of the smallest budgets in the league. They were however very well organised. Especially defensively. It's all about defensive structure and organisation. We need to work on it. Certainly the mental side. We look timid. There was not one leader along that back line yesterday. Not one. Thats what needs to change.

When we were defensive in the Prem but getting results punching way above our financial weight our fans moaned and moaned and moaned about our success being built first and foremost on our defensive shape be that under RH or TP. Now we want a team built on these principles but also want us to create and score lots of goals whilst the manager watches the club financially die a death by a thousand cuts and fans think we can sell our way to success. 

It’s going to be a long season.

Agree Dekka but the two aren't mutually exclusive. You can be well organised at the back and still look good going forwards. Like Birdy says I prefer to see no nonsense solid defenders who do the ugly stuff and stop crosses and clear the ball away as a first resort. Then let the midfield and forwards do the rest.

Its out of fashion now. Everyone seems to want to play out from the back at all costs. It's very strange. I have to say I don't remember CC's Huddersfield doing it. I maybe wrong?

Good summing up of Corberan's time and yesterday's "strange" line up.
It’s possible to criticise without calling for his head! Other than a few heat of the moment posts, no-one whatsoever if is wanting him sacked.
What is fair is to question his team selection yesterday and his away record in general. Which I’m sure he is doing himself.
Upshot is, we are top 6 at home and bottom 6 away and that’s for him to resolve.
Indeed Bob.

Even would suggest yesterday's line up was because of our away issues, be more defensive, try to scrape a win with a draw being the worst result. Instead we commit suicide in defence and mess everything up.
(08-06-2023, 05:34 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Indeed Bob.

Even would suggest yesterday's line up was because of our away issues, be more defensive, try to scrape a win with a draw being the worst result. Instead we commit suicide in defence and mess everything up.

Deffo. Much as I think we overplay the bringing the ball from the keeper, a long punt upfield to BTA would see the ball straight back in our half anyway. I've never understood why it has to be all one or all the other?