I agreed with Duffers but now I disagree
I agreed that Pep's reign was not "all that" before but to be be such perennial winners in a climate that relies on being on top of your game 90% of the time is an achievement matched by no other. Sir Alex had a few seasons without winning the Prem and Pep has done it so consistently despite others' wealth being relatively close.

I'm of course happy to admit they've spent an absolute shedload but it takes someone special to retain that winning mentality over the years that Pep has done so. 5 out of 6 years is incredible. Klopp (who I'd agree is a worthy adversary) as a counter has managed to fight for the title fewer times as he is prone to 'hot streak' his way to success; there is no one better than that but it does not guarantee glory the Pep has. 

I don't know the exact net spends or what have you but there's no doubt Pep knows a good player from one that doesn't fit his philosophy. 

Unfortunately for him, Pep is at a club that has found itself in a position that the owners wouldn't know the cost of a bog roll and that will forever be the stick that punters will always poke him with but In my opinion now, he will go down as one of the greatest ever managers, up there with Clough and Sir Alex, and ahead of Mourinho and Wenger.

So I've changed my mind. He is a success.
To be fair to Klopp, he has spent significantly less than Pep and started much further back. He’s an excellent manager - a bellend - but an excellent manager and I’d argue has done a “better” job under his circumstances.

Pep has continually bred a culture of winning at Barça, Bayern and now City and continues to adapt the ways football can be played.

Needs to deliver the CL this time round though.
Guardiola is an outstanding coach.

Possibly one of the few that improves players. How many players go backwards under his tutelage. 

He also seems to have an unworldly understanding of which of his players suit his strategies at anytime.

For example Nathan Ake a peripheral in previous seasons has, before injury, been a mainstay this season. Whilst Laporte has endured the reverse this season, and it wouldn't be surprising if the roles reverse again next season.
Yeah it’s amazing what a billion quid and 115 financial rule breaches can achieve….

In all seriousness Pep is an elite manager and always has been, earlier in his time in this country people were desperate to call him a fraud, which was always idiotic. My argument has always been that dominating England, and the manner in which they have done so has been impressive, isn’t enough. They were winning titles and domestic trophies under Mancini and Pellegrini, Guardiola was brought in at great expense and fanfare to make City into the dominant force in Europe, I expected him to have won it once or twice in the seven years he’s been here.

Winning the final next month would be a belated start (unless he overthinks it again by sticking Haaland at left back or deciding to play without midfielders) but they need to start winning it regularly in Real do.
(05-21-2023, 06:51 AM)Duffers Wrote: Yeah it’s amazing what a billion quid and 115 financial rule breaches can achieve….

In all seriousness Pep is an elite manager and always has been, earlier in his time in this country people were desperate to call him a fraud, which was always idiotic. My argument has always been that dominating England, and the manner in which they have done so has been impressive, isn’t enough. They were winning titles and domestic trophies under Mancini and Pellegrini, Guardiola was brought in at great expense and fanfare to make City into the dominant force in Europe, I expected him to have won it once or twice in the seven years he’s been here.

Winning the final next month would be a belated start (unless he overthinks it again by sticking Haaland at left back or deciding to play without midfielders) but they need to start winning it regularly in Real do.
I have  a slightly different take on the Champions League.

It is in the end a cup competition, in which you have to accept that the best team might not win it. You can march through the competition imperious and then have a bad half hour, be on the wrong end of luck or a refereeing decision and find yourself out with no way back.

Real Madrid have a brilliant champions league, which makes it more surprising that their la liga record in the last 10 years or so is not as good as it should be, especially as in that period there are only 2 other genuine competitors.

City are dominating the premiership, in a way that Real are not dominating zla liga, despite there being more competition in the premiership than in la liga.
If Guardiola had achieved what he had at say Manchester United or Liverpool (more historic clubs) than Manchester City he would no doubt be revered more.
(05-21-2023, 11:00 AM)Super-Okay Wrote: If Guardiola had achieved what he had at say Manchester United or Liverpool (more historic clubs) than Manchester City he would no doubt be revered more.

He managed Bayern and Barcelona, Ziz.
I could win trophies with a 2 billion quid squad and a club that cheats and continuously flounces the rules.
(05-21-2023, 11:10 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(05-21-2023, 11:00 AM)Super-Okay Wrote: If Guardiola had achieved what he had at say Manchester United or Liverpool (more historic clubs) than Manchester City he would no doubt be revered more.

He managed Bayern and Barcelona, Ziz.

I know - both prestigious clubs in respective countireis.

However in England he has done it at Man City.

Not as revered as Man United.

Pep even would admit this privately.

Simply Man City do not have the history of Man United
He’s got to win the Champions league to cement his position as one of the all time greats. Otherwise there will be too many who said he spent his way to success.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT