Projections For GE
(05-06-2023, 10:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:36 AM)Ournextstriker Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:11 AM)Ournextstriker Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 09:43 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: At some point people have to take responsibility for the decisions they make. You can’t bemoan how poorly run something is and yet when you have an option to try something / somebody different after years of failure and you stick to the status quo you have to question the intelligence or motivation of those who continue to make the same decisions. 

Easy to blame the politicians but people have a responsibility to not repeatedly and stubbornly punch themselves and their communities in the face.

But if they can’t see much difference between policies then what inspires voters to change? Apathy leads to11% turnouts and no real change

Corbyn went left and guess what he lost. There is no appetite for hard left or right policies. Corbyn got more votes in areas that were already left leaning at the last local elections but made fug all gains where elections under our archaic system are won or lost. Essentially he preached to the converted and proclaimed it as a success.
What’s Starmers lack of policies got to do with Corbyn? Labour is so right wing now even Protheroe wants a huge labour majority at next GE

You can’t win an election with left wing policies / promises how many elections will it take for the penny to drop with those who wish it would happen? Labour are centre, centre left they aren’t right wing.

Same policies just different colour ties
(05-06-2023, 11:09 AM)Ournextstriker Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:11 AM)Ournextstriker Wrote: But if they can’t see much difference between policies then what inspires voters to change? Apathy leads to11% turnouts and no real change

Corbyn went left and guess what he lost. There is no appetite for hard left or right policies. Corbyn got more votes in areas that were already left leaning at the last local elections but made fug all gains where elections under our archaic system are won or lost. Essentially he preached to the converted and proclaimed it as a success.
What’s Starmers lack of policies got to do with Corbyn? Labour is so right wing now even Protheroe wants a huge labour majority at next GE

You can’t win an election with left wing policies / promises how many elections will it take for the penny to drop with those who wish it would happen? Labour are centre, centre left they aren’t right wing.

Ok stand on the sidelines shouting into the wilderness then.
Starmer reminds me of Kinnock in 92, thinks if he does nothing then he will be PM by default.

Major won even tho the economy was broken and his party was split because Kinnock like Starmer inspired no one
(05-06-2023, 11:26 AM)Ournextstriker Wrote: Starmer reminds me of Kinnock in 92, thinks if he does nothing then he will be PM by default.

Major won even tho the economy was broken and his party was split because Kinnock like Starmer inspired no one

That’s fine, those who feel like this can sit on their hands and don’t vote it will enable five more years of increasingly authoritarian populist right wing politics, loss of rights etc but at least those who want a ‘left’ wing party will still be pure.
(05-06-2023, 11:19 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 11:09 AM)Ournextstriker Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Corbyn went left and guess what he lost. There is no appetite for hard left or right policies. Corbyn got more votes in areas that were already left leaning at the last local elections but made fug all gains where elections under our archaic system are won or lost. Essentially he preached to the converted and proclaimed it as a success.

Ok stand on the sidelines shouting into the wilderness then.

I’m currently standing with 1000s of teachers, healthcare workers, council workers and other public sector workers taking industrial action to maintain and improve working conditions. Starmer attacks those that support these people just like other right wing leaders.
(05-06-2023, 10:42 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: the Tories in Wales look fucked and I can see them losing 13 of their 14 seats 

Yet the Welsh government is itself an abject failure too. Are you talking up a Plaid Revival? Should I apply a fireproof coating to my tent next time I'm camping in Snowdonia?
(05-06-2023, 12:05 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 10:42 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: the Tories in Wales look fucked and I can see them losing 13 of their 14 seats 

Yet the Welsh government is itself an abject failure too. Are you talking up a Plaid Revival? Should I apply a fireproof coating to my tent next time I'm camping in Snowdonia?

Rolleyes

If the Tories drop to their Senedd results in 2021 then they are at best keeping 7 seats, and that was before the cost of living crisis hit into overdrive, it was before the corruption scandals involving Tory MPs, it was before Liz Truss, it was before Partygate was made public, it was before Labour kicked out Corbyn and Abbott and it was before Labour went above the Tories in the polling. Not to mention Brecon and Radnorshire is a massive target for the Lib Dems. Only Montgomeryshire looks safe.
(05-06-2023, 12:24 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Rolleyes

If the Tories drop to their Senedd results in 2021 then they are at best keeping 7 seats, and that was before the cost of living crisis hit into overdrive, it was before the corruption scandals involving Tory MPs, it was before Liz Truss, it was before Partygate was made public, it was before Labour kicked out Corbyn and Abbott and it was before Labour went above the Tories in the polling. Not to mention Brecon and Radnorshire is a massive target for the Lib Dems. Only Montgomeryshire looks safe.

Given how bloody awful the Welsh government has been, I'm amazed the Welsh want any more Labour. At least the Scotch have an excuse, their government is even worse.
(05-06-2023, 01:02 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-06-2023, 12:24 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Rolleyes

Given how bloody awful the Welsh government has been, I'm amazed the Welsh want any more Labour. At least the Scotch have an excuse, their government is even worse.

Because the Tories are a shining example of good government? Not to mention the Welsh Conservatives are a steaming pile of shit led by someone who is so incompetent that they got rid of him once before for being as useful as a chocolate teapot.
For some context to the debate as to whether Labour’s performance was good enough.

In council elections in 1995, 2 years before the landslide of 1997, Labour’s projected share of the vote was 47%, the Conservatives 25%.

This time around Labour 36%, the Conservatives 26%.

I would be concerned if I was a Labour strategist by how lacking in enthusiasm the electorate are towards Labour.

It might be that Labour are increasing support significantly in marginal constituencies, whilst stagnating or slightly going backwards in safe metropitan constituencies. A good trick if you can pull it off.

But I am convinced that if they want to win a working majority at the next election, they will need a minimum of  40%.

If they are not reaching those levels now, hard to see why they would at the GE.