Liam Neeson
(02-04-2019, 07:16 PM)Brunty Wrote: He's gone down in my estimation.

I'm not sure that'll bother him!
(02-04-2019, 07:42 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 07:10 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I sort of respect his honesty, but find what he did deplorable. Lest we forget though, they were different times. However, find me any white man who is middle aged who hasn't behaved racist at some time in the past and I'll find you a liar.

Fiar and reasonable post. As with such stories, I'm more frustrated at why he thought it was wise to share this story, given his stature in the public domain, rather than the content of his story. 

I can't wait for the social media overreaction, presumablycalling for Neeson to be hung.

It is no different to people when I was younger hating all the Irish because of the IRA. However why he thought it was a good idea to share I'll never know. 
The whole point of the anecdote was to illustrate how when something happens to a family member then you go crazy and all logic goes out the window; which he illustrated perfectly. Unfortunately it's just a really stupid thing to say, I have no idea why he would think it was a good idea to tell.
It's almost undestandable in a way. Sometimes seeing people who remind you of a bad thing in your life makes you incredibly emotional. People react in different ways to all sorts of things and whilst it's obviously not appropriate, he acknowledges that it was the wrong thing to do which is sometimes all you can ask of people.
(02-04-2019, 07:10 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I sort of respect his honesty, but find what he did deplorable. Lest we forget though, they were different times. However, find me any white man who is middle aged who hasn't behaved racist at some time in the past and I'll find you a liar.

I'm a 60 year old white working class man.  I have NEVER behaved in a way that is, or was, racist.  Growing up amongst the anti-immigration furores of the 60s and then the "Ugandan asians" arriving in the UK that led to another furore in 1972, it could have been different.

I read Auden's Refugee Blues at school and I gained a different perspective on immigrants and racism.  Auden said a poem never changed anything (or rather, makes nothing happen) but he was wrong.  It changed me (or perhaps steered me - I was getting into Left politics starting secondary school).  My brother is the same (58).  It has led to "interesting" challenges, especially in the seventies.
(02-04-2019, 07:52 PM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(02-04-2019, 07:16 PM)Brunty Wrote: He's gone down in my estimation.

I'm not sure that'll bother him!

Arf
Fuck’s sake Liam. There are things you keep to yourself...
He would have been better off looking for a known rapist to kill? Not condoning it, but he’s not really thought it through there, has he?
(02-04-2019, 07:53 PM)Sliced Wrote: The whole point of the anecdote was to illustrate how when something happens to a family member then you go crazy and all logic goes out the window; which he illustrated perfectly. Unfortunately it's just a really stupid thing to say, I have no idea why he would think it was a good idea to tell.

Agree with this.
He’s gone a bit Mel Gibson