HS2
(01-29-2023, 07:53 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 07:45 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 07:35 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 07:08 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: As usual the obsession with private motor vehicles has done for this. Shambolic selling of a scheme which frees up the WCML for local /regional passenger traffic as well as freight traffic.

I wouldn’t be able to do my job, and my family wouldn’t be able to go anywhere without private transport. No amount of ‘progress’ in rail will solve this. If anything the changes that some want to make will make this even harder. 

A complete waste of money for millions of people in the country.

Which is absolutely fair we need a mixed economy of transportation. 

That said, there is still so much we can take off the roads but the alternative has to better…frankly because of everything else above for a lot of people the car works and feels better.

Do families really need 2 cars?  Most have. Why? Because there’s one for the husband and one for the wife as that’s how they’ve always lived. 

People need to consider their car needs now, with more home working. 

Then how many kids get driven 1 mile or less to school and back each day?  Adding to road congestion and an obese lazy nation.  Walk kids to school FFS sake.  I know one bloke who drives his kids to their sixth form and back every day and they are aged 16-18. It’s less than 2 miles each way. That’s 30 mins max each way. If it’s pissing down fair enough, but every day regardless he drives them there and back.

With all due respect each person’s circumstances are different. Bean counting doesn’t really require a car I grant you but other jobs do. The same with schools not every child goes to the local school like it’s the 1980’s.
Absolutely the above.

Mrs Hawks #1 couldn’t drive when we met. She learned not long before we married, knowing she’d need to be able to get a family to school without getting soaked.

Mrs Hawks to be (RIP) couldn’t drive either. But her kids were all-but grown up and learning to drive themselves. Thusly no need.

Perhaps I just attract women who can’t drive.