Simple stuff on the folly of Brexit
(01-09-2023, 04:24 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 03:52 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: I think his point is that Brexit, since it was enacted in the manner that is classified as responding to the vote, is causing large scale damage. I think you already know that though and your response is more deceptive than deflection.

We'll see when the fog of pandemic has lifted, the effects of the war in Ukraine have subsided and when we have a government that decides to devote its time to something other than the pursuit of new and exciting ways of extracting ever more money from our pockets.

And Dekka is still wrong about GDP being "down 6%" - it's also ludicrous to suggest that Brexit is wholly responsible for most of the other issues he cites. But it's just Dekka being Dekka. Always the problems, never the solutions. It must be like living with Kevin the teenager "It's so unfair, and you're all fascists".

I'm sorry, are we the only country affected by the Ukrainian war? I must have missed that.

Dekka's point is quite obviously related to the diverging outputs of the Economist model that is outlined in the article he linked. Said model takes into account Covid and the Ukrainian war.
(01-09-2023, 04:36 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: I'm sorry, are we the only country affected by the Ukrainian war? I must have missed that.

Dekka's point is quite obviously related to the diverging outputs of the Economist model that is outlined in the article he linked. Said model takes into account Covid and the Ukrainian war.

You'll have to point out where I said we were the only country affected by the Ukrainian War.

Countries are affected very differently and have (and will have) diverging policy prescriptions. One of those you called for is affecting investment in hydrocarbons (which you denied would happen). That is a very specific effect to the UK.

Like I said. What is, and what isn't because of Brexit will become much clearer much further into the future.
(01-09-2023, 05:00 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 04:36 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: I'm sorry, are we the only country affected by the Ukrainian war? I must have missed that.

You'll have to point out where I said we were the only country affected by the Ukrainian War.

Countries are affected very differently and have (and will have) diverging policy prescriptions. One of those you called for is affecting investment in hydrocarbons (which you denied would happen). That is a very specific effect to the UK.

Like I said. What is, and what isn't because of Brexit will become much clearer much further into the future.

Why bring it up then? We're actually more insulated from the fallout of than several other countries applied in the model to determine the trend yet are still doing worse.

The effect of Brexit is already clear, it's a massive fucking headache.

As for investment in hydrocarbons, 26% extra UK gas production in 2022 than 2021, accelerated licensing for exploration and extraction e.g. Jackdaw. Investment is fine, any talk about fears relating to windfall tax is bollocks unless you think the windfall tax specifically introduced to manage war profiteering from upstream gas companies is permanent which is certainly what Total are trying to use it as a cover for. Let's not forget Norway has a higher tax on O&G (78% vs 75% here with the windfall tax applied) and they've uprated their investment forecasts for this year and had more investment last year than in 2021. Investment in UK O&G is also predicted to be upped this year especially in relation to the decarbonised electrified projects like Clair, Rosebank and Cambo.