England Prediction Thread
(11-22-2022, 08:28 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 07:44 AM)Duffers Wrote: For those complaining about the two goals conceded it’s worth remembering that we played a back four yesterday, which makes us better attacking (six scored) as we had five attack minded players on the pitch but weakens us defensively.

Southgate is often criticised for his pragmatic style and I’m sure had we gone 5-3-2 and ground out a 1-0 he would have been hammered again. I’d imagine we’d go more pragmatic if and when the tougher tests come along.

I wouldn't have hammered him for a 1-0 in fairness.

Telling that the comments from both Southgate and Tripper after the game showed their frustration at the two goals conceded. They didn't come from us being more open. Two individual mistakes, perhaps we can let Maguire off if he wasn't feeling well and the clumsy shirt pull from Stones (plus some VAR madness). It's overly critical but again, it was one of the first things Tripper mentioned after the game which is a good sign.

In a seven game shootout perhaps we should throw caution to the wind and try to out gun teams, I had a scroll through the squads yesterday and Brazil/France aside I don't think any of them have as good a group of attackers as we do. Germany are young and untried, same with the Dutch, Spain are rebuilding still, Argentina (who I fancy for the tournament, oddly) will rely on Messi but if he doesn't fire who knows? It's a real pisser the draw would look to have us against France in the quarters as I'd fancy us more against any of the others.

Tbf Dybala, Martinez and Alvarez are all handy for the Argies, but agree we have one of the best attacks in the tournament. The issue is if Kane picks up a knock.