Kevin Kilbane and James McClean
I think this article explains the hurt caused by those songs (from both sides) very well: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/...n-ireland/

To those on this thread who seem to think that blowing up civilians is a romantic and justified act, could you explain the actual difference between the Birmingham pub bombings and 7/7?

Because the end result was exactly the same. Death, injury and bereaved families.
(10-14-2022, 11:18 AM)Squid Wrote: I think this article explains the hurt caused by those songs (from both sides) very well: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/...n-ireland/

To those on this thread who seem to think that blowing up civilians is a romantic and justified act, could you explain the actual difference between the Birmingham pub bombings, 7/7 or Bloody Sunday 

Because the end result was exactly the same. Death, injury and bereaved families.
Amended
They may as well sing songs celebrating Al Qaeda, as that's the level I and many in Brum see the IRA.
(10-14-2022, 11:39 AM)MassDebater Wrote: They may as well sing songs celebrating Al Qaeda, as that's the level I and many in Brum see the IRA.

This

Bloody Sunday was a tragedy but if you think the IRA had no involvement in that then you really don't know your history............

If the Balaclava fits and all that

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
(10-14-2022, 11:34 AM)Brandywell Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 11:18 AM)Squid Wrote: I think this article explains the hurt caused by those songs (from both sides) very well: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/...n-ireland/

To those on this thread who seem to think that blowing up civilians is a romantic and justified act, could you explain the actual difference between the Birmingham pub bombings, 7/7 or Bloody Sunday 

Amended

That you turn to whataboutery so swiftly is very telling.

As heinous as Bloody Sunday was and as disgraceful as the handling of it by the establishment was, those soldiers didn't get out of bed that morning planning to murder people. No football team sings songs celebrating them and their actions that day have been widely condemned across the UK.

The perpetrators of the Birmingham pub bombings and 7/7 spent months planning how to cause maximum casualties.

In the Warrington bombing, the IRA planted two bombs, one to be the initial explosion, the other timed and placed to explode and catch people running away from the first bomb.
I note that Celtic Symphony is no 1 in the Irish music charts and reached no 3 in the UK charts.
So all this outrage has made the Wolftones richer.
(10-14-2022, 12:43 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I note that Celtic Symphony is no 1 in the Irish music charts and reached no 3 in the UK charts.
So all this outrage has made the Wolftones richer.

Biden bulk buying.
The world is full of wankers isn't it?

Some aspects of history can be sung about without much offence. Others... well, in company, nowadays who isn't going to get offended somehow at any anthem or commemorative song, which doesn't somehow or somewhere have some aspect of shame buried within it. So to me, internationally speaking at least, there isn't really a place for it anymore.

As for the deaths, that's what matters most. I get the national identity aspect - especially also being (small but still) part-Irish - but I still think singing about something like this is a backwards step. Yes it goes on, but as long as it does we will have silly little issues.

Memorium of course as it also very much is, it does have more than a whiff of flavour of wanting to keep the conflict or at least the sentiments of it alive. Which is silly, because it doesn't make an unnecessary death any more or less vain, when the causes and consequences of these things are eventually forgiven and forgotten. What people who had fuck all to do with it now want to chime up for, I despair at.

But, sadly back to my opening comment. Some won't forgive and forget, because it's trendy in the little bubble of idiocy they call their social circle. But it's as bad on both sides. Be it passing red-handed hankies about desi-pubs (the irony) or singing irritating and very misrepresentative World War/Cup songs, or going to any large-ish racecourse on a busy day and hearing lads you went to school and played football with yell "God save the Pope" during No Nay Never in the bar, because it's cool and that's what those cool, hard Celtic fans do.

Best just to steer clear of the whole thing and topic, tolerate these silly wankers a little longer, and be thankful that at least an offshoot of wokeness is that historic grievances such as this are, thankfully - in the main - fading to where they should do (the past). In spite of things like this which can and will occur as long as there are wankers in the world.
HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:The world is full of wankers isn't it?

Some aspects of history can be sung about without much offence. Others... well, in company, nowadays who isn't going to get offended somehow at any anthem or commemorative song, which doesn't somehow or somewhere have some aspect of shame buried within it. So to me, internationally speaking at least, there isn't really a place for it anymore.

As for the deaths, that's what matters most. I get the national identity aspect - especially also being (small but still) part-Irish - but I still think singing about something like this is a backwards step. Yes it goes on, but as long as it does we will have silly little issues.

Memorium of course as it also very much is, it does have more than a whiff of flavour of wanting to keep the conflict or at least the sentiments of it alive. Which is silly, because it doesn't make an unnecessary death any more or less vain, when the causes and consequences of these things are eventually forgiven and forgotten. What people who had fuck all to do with it now want to chime up for, I despair at.

But, sadly back to my opening comment. Some won't forgive and forget, because it's trendy in the little bubble of idiocy they call their social circle. But it's as bad on both sides. Be it passing red-handed hankies about desi-pubs (the irony) or singing irritating and very misrepresentative World War/Cup songs, or going to any large-ish racecourse on a busy day and hearing lads you went to school and played football with yell "God save the Pope" during No Nay Never in the bar, because it's cool and that's what those cool, hard Celtic fans do.

Best just to steer clear of the whole thing and topic, tolerate these silly wankers a little longer, and be thankful that at least an offshoot of wokeness is that historic grievances such as this are, thankfully - in the main - fading to where they should do (the past). In spite of things like this which can and will occur as long as there are wankers in the world.
Great post.
(10-14-2022, 01:57 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: The world is full of wankers isn't it?

What a splendid eloquent thought-provoking post Hawks.