Kevin Kilbane and James McClean
(10-14-2022, 08:01 AM)baggy1 Wrote: If you think that the IRA is only something that is represented by the morons of the 70s and beyond then you will be offended. If you read a bit into Irish history you’ll understand that the original IRA is what won the country independence from Britain, that is deeply embedded into Irish culture and will be sung about.

Perfect
(10-14-2022, 08:01 AM)baggy1 Wrote: If you think that the IRA is only something that is represented by the morons of the 70s and beyond then you will be offended. If you read a bit into Irish history you’ll understand that the original IRA is what won the country independence from Britain, that is deeply embedded into Irish culture and will be sung about.

You could start a ditty when Jayson's on the ball.
(10-14-2022, 08:52 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:

You could start a ditty when Jayson's on the ball.

Maybe two world wars and one World Cup would go down better.
(10-14-2022, 07:54 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 07:32 AM)Squid Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 07:20 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 07:15 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Thought the bit on Sky Sports where the old English bloke told the young Irish woman to learn her history was a good one. Can't believe anyone is that bothered about this, let the people sing.

"The Troubles never happened..."

Just in our region there are twenty-one houses with an empty chair because people on a night out were apparently a "legitimate target". That's why people are bothered.

I'm sure Kilbane, McClean and the girls singing the other night have countless stories that are similar. Said it yourself, there is no outrage every week when the Billy Boys is sung, so forgive me for not being outraged at this.

I did not say there is no outrage when Billy Boys is sung. If the NI Women's team were filmed singing it post-match in celebrating there would be colossal outrage and rightly so.

And no, actually. Kevin Kilbane growing up in Preston probably doesn't have countless "stories". The ROI women's team growing up in the Republic or the UK this century won't either. Again, even if they did, how would that make singing a song celebrating a sectarian murder gang acceptable? Because that's what the song is about and yes, I do know Irish history as someone as patronisingly questioned elsewhere.
(10-14-2022, 09:00 AM)Squid Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 07:54 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 07:15 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Thought the bit on Sky Sports where the old English bloke told the young Irish woman to learn her history was a good one. Can't believe anyone is that bothered about this, let the people sing.

Just in our region there are twenty-one houses with an empty chair because people on a night out were apparently a "legitimate target". That's why people are bothered.

I'm sure Kilbane, McClean and the girls singing the other night have countless stories that are similar. Said it yourself, there is no outrage every week when the Billy Boys is sung, so forgive me for not being outraged at this.

I did not say there is no outrage when Billy Boys is sung. If the NI Women's team were filmed singing it post-match in celebrating there would be colossal outrage and rightly so.

And no, actually. Kevin Kilbane growing up in Preston probably doesn't have countless "stories". The ROI women's team growing up in the Republic or the UK this century won't either. Again, even if they did, how would that make singing a song celebrating a sectarian murder gang acceptable? Because that's what the song is about and yes, I do know Irish history as someone as patronisingly questioned elsewhere.

This isn't the time nor place for this discussion - Tiocfaidh ar la.
(10-14-2022, 09:00 AM)Squid Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 07:54 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:

You may know it but clearly you Don't understand it.
As much as anything this also highlights how social media and phones videoing allows people who aren't part of your tribe to see what's going on and get outraged. I've heard there were many rebel songs sung by the great Ireland team of the late 80s whilst Big Jack was there and the troubles still going on. It's just it's so much more in your face now.
FWIW the lack of knowledge the average English person has about the history of Ireland and Britain's involvement is a travesty.
The sing-song by the Irish girls is just primarily ill thought tribal bonding.
Tribal bonding singing about a terrorist organisation?

Certainly how FIFA view it and the subsequent fine incoming and rightly so

I shall look forward to Jonny Evans chanting UVF at Windsor Park and getting a slap on the wrist then?

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
Song is number six in UK charts.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/...63713.html
(10-14-2022, 11:02 AM)Cuzer Wrote: Tribal bonding singing about a terrorist organisation?

Certainly how FIFA view it and the subsequent fine incoming and rightly so

I shall look forward to Jonny Evans chanting UVF at Windsor Park and getting a slap on the wrist then?

Cuzer

Yes. Tribal bonding and I'm pretty-sure these girls weren't thinking of the consequences due to euphoria and the goldfish bowl of modern communications. It was a bit daft by them, but spare me the outrage.