Random late night watch
It's mad how quickly the expectations changed over those few seasons - during the RDM/Roy period I seem to remember us just being grateful to get there and then stay up. I started watching Welcome To Wrexham over the weekend and it's not very long after the takeover before fans are talking about "the next level".
(09-20-2022, 12:56 PM)Mr vertical Wrote: It's mad how quickly the expectations changed over those few seasons - during the RDM/Roy period I seem to remember us just being grateful to get there and then stay up. I started watching Welcome To Wrexham over the weekend and it's not very long after the takeover before fans are talking about "the next level".

Slight difference there given the finances Wrexham now have puts them on a par with League 1 clubs. Not to mention the fact they were a big club at that level before the takeover.

Newcastle fans have shown expectation can change rapidly once money is involved. I seem to remember Wolves talking about "Champions League in five years"
(09-20-2022, 01:01 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 12:56 PM)Mr vertical Wrote: It's mad how quickly the expectations changed over those few seasons - during the RDM/Roy period I seem to remember us just being grateful to get there and then stay up. I started watching Welcome To Wrexham over the weekend and it's not very long after the takeover before fans are talking about "the next level".

Slight difference there given the finances Wrexham now have puts them on a par with League 1 clubs. Not to mention the fact they were a big club at that level before the takeover.

Newcastle fans have shown expectation can change rapidly once money is involved. I seem to remember Wolves talking about "Championship in five years"

Edited for you (and them).
(09-20-2022, 01:28 PM)standitupbackstick Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 01:01 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:

Newcastle fans have shown expectation can change rapidly once money is involved. I seem to remember Wolves talking about "Championship in five years"

Edited for you (and them).

It goes to show how difficult that "Next Level" really is. A lot has to go right just to be a mid-table PL club and it can all slip away in a season.
Watching that I'm struck by what has massively changed (good set pieces, Lai turing up to games, Livermore being good enough to be picked for England) and what hasn't (Phillips recovering from injury).
That was a mid table Premier League side. But would Nyom and McLean get in our current side? 
We moaned more then about the side than we do now.
Birdman1811 Wrote:That relegation was utterly on Pardew, how he made that squad so bad I don't know.

Completely. The fact we were only relegated in the last week, despite being rubbish for 9 months, shows just what would have been possible with different options. i.e. Giving Big Dave the job sooner or keeping SGM for a few more games, or anything but giving the job to that cretin.
Megson would have kept us up, and also integrated Field fully.

In another universe, that happened and things turned out very different. We really, really did think relegation wasn't a concern anymore at that point.
(09-20-2022, 05:34 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Birdman1811 Wrote:That relegation was utterly on Pardew, how he made that squad so bad I don't know.

Completely. The fact we were only relegated in the last week, despite being rubbish for 9 months, shows just what would have been possible with different options. i.e. Giving Big Dave the job sooner or keeping SGM for a few more games, or anything but giving the job to that cretin.

If Moore had been given the Burnley home game instead of that twat AP, we might just have made it
(09-20-2022, 06:22 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 05:34 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

If Moore had been given the Burnley home game instead of that twat AP, we might just have made it

If Pardew had been sacked after we got dumped out the FA Cup I'm very confident now, with hindsight, in saying that we would have stayed up. We lost against Leicester, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford and Burnley in a row.